Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Right handed left eye dominant shooter?

I am basically sure my 6 year old is right handed and left eye dominant. He also can really keep 1 eye open except for his left about half way. He can't wink. 

Should I be teaching him to shoot rifles lefty? 

I am going to work on the inability to keep 1 eye open, but my wife has the same issue. 

Lots of people shoot with both eyes open. I've had some optic nerve problems that caused me to go from right eye to left eye dominant, I had an Olympic archery coach teach me how to shoot with my left eye.. Now rifles I just got better scopes to compensate for the vision.. I would try him left handed , he's young

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot rifles, shotguns and bows left handed. Play golf, tennis and shoot a pistol right handed. Never seemed to have an issue. I use right handed rifles/shotguns that either have the safety on top or one that I can swap to the other side. 

• Like 1

Have him make a circle with his finger and thumb and put in front of him, have both eyes open and get the circle in the middle. Have him close one eye at a time, which ever stays in the circle is his dominant eye. If he his right handed and left eye dominant, a piece of tape will work on the left side of his glasses if you want him to shoot right handed.

1001182034.jpg

I am RH and left eye dominate. I shoot right but I also can shoot left. Shoot pistol right hand and with both eyes.

I did the eye hand test with him earlier tonight and both times he answered showing left eye dominant. 

I shoot pistol with both eyes open, and plan to teach him to shoot pistol that way. Rifles is different though. I am thinking I should teach him to shoot left, but all my hardware is setup for right handers. 

54 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

I did the eye hand test with him earlier tonight and both times he answered showing left eye dominant. 

I shoot pistol with both eyes open, and plan to teach him to shoot pistol that way. Rifles is different though. I am thinking I should teach him to shoot left, but all my hardware is setup for right handers. 

Get him an eye patch to cover his left eye while shooting until he's old enough to just close it.  I bought one for myself years ago to use while glassing with a spotting scope.  About $3 at wal-mart, easy peasy.

I'm left eye dominant and right handed.  After much trial and error. I now just close my left eye.  

He's young. You can have him trained to shoot right handed pretty easy. Cover his eye and go shoot a lot. Soon it will just be muscle memory to shoulder and shoot right handed. Practice makes perfect and there will be no need to buy special rifles or equipment. Go get him an air soft rifle that you can mount a cheap throw away scope on and have him practice in the house. I'm sure a six year old would have a blast running around the house pretending to be some sort of Pirate sniper or something with a patch on his eye. Make it fun for him and it will work out. 

Pretty much everyone in my family is correct handed, but my kids are too young to know. 

Out of curiousity, why would you try to train a natural instinct out of someone?

is there an advantage to making them shoot right handed?

8 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Pretty much everyone in my family is correct handed, but my kids are too young to know. 

Out of curiousity, why would you try to train a natural instinct out of someone?

is there an advantage to making them shoot right handed?

Really the only advantage is that it makes life easier being able to use the same equipment everyone else does and not have to be stuck buying left handed rifles that are harder to come by and generally cost more as well. 

1 minute ago, STOMP442 said:

Really the only advantage is that it makes life easier being able to use the same equipment everyone else does and not have to be stuck buying left handed rifles that are harder to come by and generally cost more as well. 

That makes sense. Seems like the few guys I know that are left handed in a family of rights buy stocks that are ambidextrous. 

Lucky for those left handed guys almost all scopes are right side windage.