Bigfish86

Unit 11M bull hunt

1 hour ago, Huntnfish said:

Yeah, nothing about that says good shot opportunity. Sad people can't wait for a better shot or pass.

You have no idea what happened. Elk can move a LOT with a single step. It’s easy to second guess based on a nasty pic but there is no way to understand the circumstances that lead to that shot.

Its definitely a shame. That’s a giant 11m bull. Somebody is sick over it I am sure.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

That sucks. Is it legal to treat it like a dead head and take it?

No it is not legal unless you have a tag and you want to tag that nasty thing, legally if you want to keep a dead head you must have a WM come out and determine if it died of natural causes or not, if WM determines it was anything other than natural causes it belongs to the state and will most likely be headed to the auction at the outdoor expo

• Like 1

Well all in all I will be having tag soup this year I was able to get on a heard friday night out in a meadow at 200 yards to start and got to 135 yards then a group of 2 hunters came up from the south and one from the north only for the heard to bust them and them to take off the cows were very vocal as were the bulls all together for my very first elk archery hunt it was a blast and definitely learned alot with this one hunt but I'm definitely hooked on these guys for sure and cant wait till it's time to put in again these beasts I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions 

4 hours ago, Flatlander said:

You have no idea what happened. Elk can move a LOT with a single step. It’s easy to second guess based on a nasty pic but there is no way to understand the circumstances that lead to that shot.

Its definitely a shame. That’s a giant 11m bull. Somebody is sick over it I am sure.

I was sick over a lost cow. Can't imagine losing a beautiful bull on a long-awaited tag. That sucks for the animal and the hunter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bigfish86 said:

Well all in all I will be having tag soup this year I was able to get on a heard friday night out in a meadow at 200 yards to start and got to 135 yards then a group of 2 hunters came up from the south and one from the north only for the heard to bust them and them to take off the cows were very vocal as were the bulls all together for my very first elk archery hunt it was a blast and definitely learned alot with this one hunt but I'm definitely hooked on these guys for sure and cant wait till it's time to put in again these beasts I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions 

Stick around the site.  Lots of great info and minds to pick before your next big hunt. 1st posts looking for help are a tall order on a hunting site because after help is given its often crickets afterward with no thanks or story afterward.  Hang out and contribute a bit and you will have more tips and info then found an imagine. Lots of great guys here. Sorry it didn't work out for you, hope your next hunt is successful.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Flatlander said:

The shot was legit and one I would take.  Tight quartering away entered just before the hind quarter and angling into the vitals.  It may have been a few inches high. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Stick around the site.  Lots of great info and minds to pick before your next big hunt. 1st posts looking for help are a tall order on a hunting site because after help is given its often crickets afterward with no thanks or story afterward.  Hang out and contribute a bit and you will have more tips and info then found an imagine. Lots of great guys here. Sorry it didn't work out for you, hope your next hunt is successful.  

Oh i plan on sticking around I love this site and seems like alot of people are real helpful i mean i know its hunting and people wont give up there honey holes and i dont expect them to but like i said i learned alot and real quick of my mistakes that I made for my first elk hunt especially archery for that matter but I will keep plugging away at it til I can get drawn again for archery elk or rifle but would prefer the stick and string it's way more intense to me. I just need to keep practicing my calling although I did learn to cow call pretty dang quick after my first couple encounters with the diffrent hears I came close to and I'm definitely putting that hoocie mama call up and sticking to my diaphragm calls seems like those elk are real educated on the hoocie mama call and you can definitely tell that. I look at my trip as a successful one being I had 15 bulls within 80-125 yards in 10 days and everything I learned from my rights to my wrongs with what to do and not to do I got a good lay of the land and totally love the sport even more now ( wife thought fishing was bad this is gonna be even worse lol )

• Like 2

14 hours ago, idgaf said:

The shot was legit and one I would take.  Tight quartering away entered just before the hind quarter and angling into the vitals.  It may have been a few inches high. 

Not a legit shot, keep telling yourself that. We all see the result. Just saying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Not a legit shot, keep telling yourself that. We all see the result. Just saying.

Quartering away is a bad shot?  The execution for whatever reason caused the result.  I know several of the trophies on my walls were from quartering away shots.  I would not hesitate to take a quartering away 

• Like 5

On 10/6/2018 at 7:59 AM, nateNAU said:

Here is the bull we were able to shoot the last day of the first 11m hunt.

20180928_084912.jpg

Love it man!!! Euro that and always have something goofy hanging off it 👍👍👍

• Like 2