deerhunter31

FIRST TIME DRAWING ELK TAG UNIT 9 Late Rifle

Hello,

After 6 years I finally drew an elk tag in my home state of AZ. 

This will be my very first elk since I have been unsuccessful OTC in Colorado the past 2 years and only started hunting 6 years ago.

I drew an AZ Unit 9 Late Season Bull tag.

I have been eScouting as much as I can and going to start scouting several weekends before the hunt starts since I know they wont be in the same area as they're now due to moving to winter ranges.

I am just looking for some tips or what kind of country to be in during that time from anyone who has hunted them in unit 9 during the late season.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you,

TJ

480-720-8987

Expect all kinds of weather.......warm, dry, wet, snowy and cold! That  unit can get freakishly cold sometimes. If it's dry sit tanks. Otherwise find country you can glass. We have taken several bulls out of there this way. And we hunted near the reservation.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, creed said:

Expect all kinds of weather.......warm, dry, wet, snowy and cold! That  unit can get freakishly cold sometimes. If it's dry sit tanks. Otherwise find country you can glass. We have taken several bulls out of there this way. And we hunted near the reservation.

Thank you very much I definitely will!

Really Appreciate the info!

-TJ

The wind is the worst. I have hunted in 7E right by unit 9 twice a few years ago. It was great, but the wind was what would get to me the worst. It would cut you to the bone quick if it was cold. 

Be prepared to hunt in everything from sunny in the 50's to sun zero and snow. 

Find places with sign and get high and glass. 

• Like 1

Expect plenty of hunters glassing the Coconino Rim from down below in the upper basin.  If it is dry, you can boringly sit water all day.  I had a tag two years ago that went from dry to 10" snow and -15F, so be prepared for extremes.  Most of the bulls I have seen have been at the very first and last lights.  Have a good hunt.

• Like 3

Hey guys. My name is Gabe. New to the forum and new in elk hunt as well. I'm in the same boat as deerhunter31, need some help with late unit 9 bull hunt. 

In your opinion, what is more productive-glassing all day or still hunting through the pines? Weather is getting nasty up there so I expect cows to move to lower elevations. I waited for a long time for elk tag, so I'm not interested in a spike. With hunting pressure and weather I believe mature bulls will still be in pines and that means walking through the woods and praying that something pops up. But, this is all theory, would like to hear experiences from seasoned unit 9 hunters on this forum. 

Thank you all for your help and God bless

There area few but not many good long range glassing spots.  Once you get off the hill, you are down in the flat PJ and then still hunting to relocate em.  Find some openings without a road and watch those openings very first and last light, and still hunt other areas during the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2018 at 3:07 PM, Hoss50 said:

The wind is the worst. I have hunted in 7E right by unit 9 twice a few years ago. It was great, but the wind was what would get to me the worst. It would cut you to the bone quick if it was cold. 

Be prepared to hunt in everything from sunny in the 50's to sun zero and snow. 

Find places with sign and get high and glass. 

Thank you!

On 10/6/2018 at 3:37 PM, Red Rabbit said:

Expect plenty of hunters glassing the Coconino Rim from down below in the upper basin.  If it is dry, you can boringly sit water all day.  I had a tag two years ago that went from dry to 10" snow and -15F, so be prepared for extremes.  Most of the bulls I have seen have been at the very first and last lights.  Have a good hunt.

Greatly appreciate the info! 

Gonna hunt hard and put in a bunch of miles and glass as much as I can!

2 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

There area few but not many good long range glassing spots.  Once you get off the hill, you are down in the flat PJ and then still hunting to relocate em.  Find some openings without a road and watch those openings very first and last light, and still hunt other areas during the day.

Thank you!

Yeah I am not used to not having vantage points to glass from so I am trying to figure out what will be best on how to locate and take a bull!

5 minutes ago, swampokie said:

Did u get a giant??????

I did not but tagged out on my first elk!

88D1391A-9FF3-45FE-BFAF-53CC3288565F.jpeg

• Like 10