Sign in to follow this  
REDTOOTER

What to do? Weather for 4a Youth Elk Hunt

First, for some reason I feel like i have to state that I am long time lurker of this great site and visit daily and appreciate everyone who posts on a regular basis, good and bad. Some of you are very knowledgeable, some hilarious, and some annoying. All the reason why I have to check in several times a day to see what ya'all are up to. 

Down to business,  Very excited and all geared up for this weeks 4a youth elk hunt! Now all I hear from friends is how bad the weather will be this Thurs Fri Sat  from the Hurricane carry over, so much so that two friends who's kids also have tags are rescheduling to arrive at camp Sunday and stay into next week.  This really inst an option for me, plan was always to hunt Fri to Mon.

So what say all you rim living people. Think the weather will really be bad/horrible and I should do what i can to hunt later in week , Or just go and deal with what we are dealt ... don't mind hunting in a little and rain snow etc , but just not sure how bad it will get... 

Go and hunt as scheduled. The forecast is changing. It appears the remnants of the hurricane are shifting to the east and most of AZ won’t really feel the effects. 

Ive helped on many of those 4A youth hunts through the years, regardless of weather, they are a blast! 

Good luck!

0CCAF40E-7E57-46F1-8E11-8AA943E64057.png

I say go but just be prepared. Are you staying in a tent, camper or hotel? Wear moisture wicking clothes and go to wal mart and get some frog togs rain clothes in the camping section. They even have camo!  Sit in the vehicle on a 2 track if you have to and watch a hillside, get out and give chase when you see something. Maybe sit in a blind overlooking a meadow.  The hunting part doesn't have to be miserable. Being in a tent might suck so id get a buddy heater and a 5gal propane tank. I'm a little apprehensive myself for the hunt. We're leaving tomoro and hoping to have it done by the end of the weekend.  Oh and buy a pop up canopy from Wal-Mart or big 5.  If you kill in the rain work under it. Heck you could probably hunt under it too. 

Just go prepared for weather. Looks like it may not be to bad. We will be in 23 for the youth deer hunt but we are staying at a house in young which is rare cause I'm used to camping. On the bright side it's not going to be hot so it should make for good hunting 

Just realized 4a is right close to 23 (dont have units up there memorized) You should definately go and take advantage of the youth camp. Free food for the hunters and the hunting party. Youd be nuts to not take advantage of that.

Watched 4 cows today feeding on my hill for an hour in a down pour, hope for snow and track them..