Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

Switzerland Alpine Ibex makes 20!

He goes by many names .. We English speaking folks know him as the Alpine ibex. In Latin, he’s known as the grandfather of all of the goats; Capra Ibex. In his native ranges he goes by several monikers;  le Bouquetin the French speaking regions of the Alps of southeast France and western Switzerland, lo Stambecco in the Italian Alps, der AlpenSteinböck in the German, Austrian and eastern Swiss Alps, and Kozerog in Slovenia where he lives in the Julian Alps, the southern arm of Alps proper. 

To many hunters, he’s regarded as the King of the Alps; Der König der Alpen. I am in this crowd of hunters. He’s a special animal that most hunters are afforded just one chance at, if ever at all, in their lifetime. Permits are extremely limited and very hard to come by.

He’s been immortalized in his native range in statues, sculptures, paintings, and writings. Hunters for millennia have looked up from the valley floors on clear days at the highest snow and glacier capped haunts the Alps have and pondered the chance to have just one opportunity to chase the long horned goats that live in those absolute vertical reaches of the incredible range they’d gaze upwards at. 

I had my opportunity in western Switzerland this past week. I’m humbled to have had the opportunity to receive this rare permit at a time that coincided with my chance to finish my Capra Super 20 (20 different goat species from around the world) I’m thankful, humbled and grateful. It was a hunt I’ll never forget. The Alps gifted me one of its Kings and he’ll forever hold a spot of the highest regard in my life and in my memories from here on out. 

Having finished my Capra Super 20, I have so many people to thank. Each of you all know who you are. Know that you’re all incredibly gracious good people and I’m a better man for having had the pleasure of you in my life. Thank you all. 

4F6F6AC5-68B7-48F7-B03C-D18A0D5CEC68.jpeg

D286F5FF-CB2F-47E2-B368-FBD30D9DADD3.jpeg

6A29E023-911E-4258-A56F-90F8782C22F5.jpeg

25031D7A-C0FC-45B8-BF44-D51C3C30B9C6.jpeg

BCCD4FC5-BD27-4844-9702-38DFF4FC73F4.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Wow! 4

19 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Beautiful ibex and beautiful pictures. Im officially jealous ! Awesome!

Appreciate it, WHT_MTNMAN. 

While I've never been murder on the coues, I’ve somehow done ok on the mountain game and African game! 

• Like 1

I've said it before but its worth saying again, huge congratulations amigo and what an epic trip in beautiful country and amazing trophy.