Jacob...soaz

whats next

14 hours ago, broadhead said:

Like a couple people who have already replied I'm one of those guys that just doesn't like using a spotting scope. Before I upgraded I had diamondback 10x42s in a chest harness and Kaibab 15x56 that went on a tripod (which is an absolute requirement for 15s). I found plenty of deer. I'm not a trophy hunter and I found that setup to be adequate for identifying bucks from does as well as the general size of the animal. Take the advice of the guys on here that can recommend a good mid-range pair of 15s and personally I recommend pairing them with a set of 8 or 10x42s that you can wear on your chest and you'll be very well covered. Some guys will also recommend a good set of 12x50s with a pair of 8s. That's what I went to and I really like it. The 12s are a little lighter and easier to freehand and I don't feel like I'm giving up much of anything in magnification. Really at that points it's all personal preference.

thanks for the input i think i am going to go with some 15s . looks like you are in the same neck of the woods as me might run into you out in the hills . 

4 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

For the guys who don't like looking through spotters why are you? I hook my phone or camera to it and watch the screen comfortably with my hands in my pockets, and I get video I can save for later. That alone makes the spotter #1 for me. 

I use my binos on the tripod then when I see something I swap to spotter video mode 

great point 

5 hours ago, Jacob...soaz said:

thanks for the input i think i am going to go with some 15s . looks like you are in the same neck of the woods as me might run into you out in the hills . 

Are you in Vail or down towards Corona? I'm down in Corona and am trying to get to know 34A a lot better. The north end mostly since I live so close. I just got back from a few hours glassing up a brand new area just a few minutes away but only turned up a few does. Otherwise I hunt 33 which has plenty of deer too.