Sign in to follow this  
300RUM

Tag Soup

Tag Soup

Yes, that culinary disaster that most of us are likely familiar with. Depending on the tag used to produce it the taste can be anywhere from slightly unpleasant to something that could gag a maggot. I currently find myself brewing a batch that should prove to be rather disgusting from my 5B South archery bull tag. So how do I season this concoction to make it more palatable? That might take a little thought. Well, let me see. I did spend a couple of weeks in the woods. I got to hunt elk. There were a couple of good chances to stalk a real nice bull, which is what I was after. There was the sound of hooves coming down a game trail. I knocked an arrow and then got to watch antelope stop and graze 30 yards in front of me. I got to see them a number of times in the following days. A fat little porcupine kept peeking around a tree trunk as he climbed to safety. I enjoyed the company of both my father and my hunting partner of 30 years. Oh, I got paid to do all this. Well that should do it, where’s my spoon…..

Back in Montana, we'd go to the bar to share tag soup with others choking down the same.  Lots of beer and whiskey combined with sharing excuses and stories of past glory usually numbs the pallet.

On the other hand, you would know that most of whom you commiserate are there because they were lazy bar folk who have the same excuses every year.  

Drink enough and about anything is palatable. Also helps with all of the second guessing that is going on in your mind.

• Like 1

I too had to eat tag soup this year with my first archery bull tag.  It was very tough driving south and second guessing just about everything I did during the two week hunt. Beer and liqour definitely helped, along with remembering everything I learned.  The best remedy was my son harvesting his first elk with his junior cow tag opening day.  

I've heard of this "tag soup".  Seems to be staple at some tables.   I may try it someday, but for now I will stick with good ol elk. Tasty, tasty elk....

C'mon over for a bbq Lee... leave the soup at home, we have plenty of side dishes already...lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1