Sign in to follow this  
1uglydude

Daughter's First Elk

My little girl filled her elk tag on Friday evening.  The youth tags were doubled in the unit this year, which made it quite a bit more crowded than we expected.  We had to work a bit harder and we were blessed with some really good luck. 

She shot this cow at 90 yards with about 30 minutes of shooting light left.  She had been broadside, but turned quartering towards us.  My girl had been ready to pull the trigger, but stopped to ask what to do when she turned.  I told her to imagine where the opposite lung would be and shoot along that line.  She put the bullet just in front of the near shoulder and it passed through and destroyed the off-side lung.  The cow reared up and came down hard.  She never took another step.

This is her third big game animal in the past year.  All three were taken with one shot and we never had to do any tracking.

Some of you know the story of how she got sick right after the Kaibab doe hunt last year.  When she was two weeks removed from the hospital the good people at Y.O.U. hooked her up with some mentors that helped her fill her pig tag with as little physical effort as possible.  Her strength is back to normal now, and she is in remission.  She looks as good as ever.

We recovered the bullet too.  I loaded her 7mm08 down to reduced recoil loads.  It was pushing a 139gr interlock at 2440 fps.  This is what the bullet looked like after an impact at around 2300 fps and passing through about 2 feet of elk.  It retained 119 of its 139 grains.  It's a great bullet when not pushed too fast (or too slow)...one of the first harvests I have been a part of where a cup and core bullet was used...I'm usually a Barnes guy, but this did the trick.

Gelk.jpg

Interlock.jpg

• Like 17

Glad to hear that she is doing better and congrats on a fine elk.

Congrats good job

Congratulations, Jack and Gabbi.  Its been fun following her journey and she sure is tough as nails!