Sign in to follow this  
NOTAGS

Crossbows?

Any archery shops in town actually stocking a  selection of crossbows?  Had to throw in the towel  on regular archery gear  this year due a less than stellar shoulder surgery three years ago, and  a third surgery coming up in 8 weeks.  I've seen a couple at Sportsman's, but they seem to be the entry level stuff. I know Cabelas and Bass Pro have them online, but not sure of in store.  Tried repeatedly to contact the Cabelas archery department over the weekend, I guess they dont feel the need to take phone calls  If I decide to go to the dark side, I want to at least shoot a few before I commit. Looking for TenPoint or Ravin specifically. 

Cabelas and Bass Pro is where i went when i was looking for my dad. They have a better selection than anyone else in town. Ended up ordering a PSE RDX 400 online though. Sweet shooting sucker. Amazing what those things can do

Shoot the Excalibur recurve crossbow while you are trying them out. I am looking at a reverse shoulder replacement in the not too distant future and am leaning towards Excalibur because of the weight. They are a bit wider unless you go the Micro series and very accurate. Also have one string to fool with and no true timing issues. A crank is a must as their  top end Xbows have a 260-280 lb draw weight.

I can still pull a 60lb compound but my time with archery is short.

A friend has the Ravin and I've seen him shoot it. It is a 100-yard crossbow no doubt.

Heck with a crossbow, use an arrow gun.  If the Department and Commission are dumb enough to let people use those during the archery season you might as well take advantage of that.

I see some good deals on Craigslist at times.

Here is something to think about.   Find someone that has actually hunted with a crossbow.   I've had a buddy or two that have hated hunting with them.   They are not a gun or bow and using them in the field is a different beast for sure.   Not saying anything bad about a crossbow but my buddies didn't realize how big a pain it would be to actually hunt with them until they had to hike with the bow for more than a 100 yards.    getting through the woods with them is very different that we are used too.  Just something to think about.   

I would agree to that with  some of the older styles, but the newer  units have such a narrow width, its incredible.  I still havent put my hands one one yet since I wont be doing any hunting in the Dec/Jan hunts due to recovery.  I dont know if you can put a sling on them.  The new ones have an anti dry fire mechanism, so you can carry them without a bolt loaded I would presume?  Theres a couple of you guys who seem to have shot or seen the Ravin, if you can provide an answer?

Nick, I thought the arrow gun got shot down by the commission for the archery hunts?

Notags, you are 100% correct. The Ravin cocked is like 6-7” wide. It won’t fire without a raven bolt in place. You can carry it drawn with or without the bolt in, and remove the bolt as needed. Big advantage not having to draw your bow in the heat of the battle. Not sure about a sling, but Ravin does sell a pack that you can pack it with over the shoulder like a backpack. Nothing like carrying the wide crossbows of yesteryear. No comparison. 

• Like 1