Sign in to follow this  
POk3s

I come in peace!

Yes, this is my first post. I about went crazy last year trying to set up a profile as I had drawn an archery bull elk tag (random tag...don't hate me.) in a premier unit and was wanting to get into the conversations on it. It took a while for this profile to get accepted because evidently the mishmash of letters and numbers in "POk3s" looks like a fake account. But it's the username I've always used for forums. So I've been lurking and reading through your guys's vast amounts of sarcasm the best I can! 

For the record I didn't kill an elk. I saw two bulls that I would put over 350. One I thought was 365. Having just killed a 361" in Wyoming, I was looking for an Arizona giant. I never found one. I did get to help an A3 guide by the name of Dean pack his bull out. It went over 400". 

Anyway, I'm now sitting on 4 deer points and don't want to wait out the mule deer game for a decent tag. I've always wanted to hunt coues and looked up the draw odds and to my surprise I can draw ANYWHERE with these 4 points. I also don't have much interest in waiting out the late season rifle hunt. I know what's going to happen and I'll want to hunt them more often rather than waiting that out.

So... I'll be around trying to ask questions to people and become a "regular." In the mean time if anybody has any unit tips for me to consider in a PM I'm all ears. I've looked up amount of licenses, success rates, public land, past trophy quality, etc... but I have no boots on the ground experience so it's going to be tough to just go for it. But I'm going to! Thanks guys.

-Trent

• Like 1

There are monster coues in every unit.  Late tags are good but I also know many people bagging 100 inch plus in Oct and Nov.  Good luck

The late Nov coues hunts that run into early Dec are pretty easy to draw and aren't that much different than the late Dec hunts (other than there are more hunters in the earlier one)

Welcome...lots of good info and experience here and lots of good sarcasm too. Sounds like you already know that though. I agree with what others have said...lots of great coues units just pick one and go for it. Unclear if you’re a resident or not. If so jump right in and start scouting...or grab your bow and head out for OTC archery in Dec and Jan. 

Sorry guys. I am a nonresident. I see that I mentioned Wyoming but I didn't say that I actually lived here! My bad! So most of the late seasons are out of reach realistically. Idk how the point creep is, but unless I can find a unit that I think is a real dark horse just by online stats, then I won't be waiting that long! 

I have no problem walking, backpacking in, etc. I do it all the time and it actually sounds kind of enjoyable to tote a tiny little whitetail out of the hills instead of an elk! Hahaha. 

I would like to see a decent number of deer and have a chance at a mature buck. Maybe that's too vague but I'm a pretty simple man!

I like unit 31. It’s got remote places and easy access places. There is every kind of habitat from desert floor to tall pines. Almost every inch is coues country. There is some private land but plenty of public. You might even get a November hunt as a third or fourth choice but I admittedly have not looked at that recently. I drew it as a NR one year.

If you are from WY then 27/28 might suit you. Same story as 31 but much bigger country. Some real boomers have come out of there every single year, but there is also lots of low density habitat.

I would avoid 6,8,21-23,24b,30a/b and 33.

The lower number units have lower densities of deer although the trophy potential is the same, 30ab have really challenging access and 33 has about 8 billion tags.

Others will disagree. 

• Like 2

With 4 points you can draw some very good December tags as a non resident. Shoot me a message and I can help point you in the right direction

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flatlander said:

I like unit 31. It’s got remote places and easy access places. There is every kind of habitat from desert floor to tall pines. Almost every inch is coues country. There is some private land but plenty of public. You might even get a November hunt as a third or fourth choice but I admittedly have not looked at that recently. I drew it as a NR one year.

If you are from WY then 27/28 might suit you. Same story as 31 but much bigger country. Some real boomers have come out of there every single year, but there is also lots of low density habitat.

I would avoid 6,8,21-23,24b,30a/b and 33.

The lower number units have lower densities of deer although the trophy potential is the same, 30ab have really challenging access and 33 has about 8 billion tags.

Others will disagree. 

Thanks for all the info flatlander. After making the trip tonsrizona twice last year, I'll probably be flying out for my scouting trip. Maybe for the hunt too. Just depends on what kind of gear I want to take and if I feel a four wheeler is a necessity. Rental truck could be used for one just the same! Hahahaha!

I understand your frustration towards the highly popular units that give out too many tags. Even in the early stages of this research it's made me bank my head against the wall. 33 is world renowned but they give out 600 tags per hunt! Crazy! 

7 hours ago, azcouesandelk said:

With 4 points you can draw some very good December tags as a non resident. Shoot me a message and I can help point you in the right direction

I'm en route!