savagman

Elk Loin

Looks good. There are a lot of ways to cook it whole or in chunks which i think is better than steaks. Just have your meat thermometer and pull it at the correct temp to make sure you don't over do it.

Does look good. Are you sure it's backstrap and not inner loin? I've always cut backstraps into steaks as well. Inner loin I've been hooked on breading and frying for awhile now. Probably my favorite meal. 

We have always cut it into steaks too but for a few years now I save a big chunk, season it with your favorite barbecue rub wrap it in bacon and smoke it. Always makes me wish I’d quit cutting steaks!

I never cut backstrap into steaks, always grill/roast whole then slice.  You don't lose as much moisture that way.  I also do my own version of a roulade - roasted red peppers, feta cheese, fresh basil and oregano leaves and a touch of garlic.  Roll it up and tie with string.  Penzeys greek seasoning and olive oil on the outside.  Grill to 125F and let rest for 10 minutes (will rise to 130).

roulade.jpg

• Like 2