Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Kaibab Elk

Supposedly there are elk in the Kaibab. Has anyone seen them recently?

I will be up there next week and was wondering if it might be worth while to buy one of the leftover elk tags. I will be in 12AE.

I called the flagstaff game & fish office and they didn't have any recent info on sightings or info.

I believe the heard is about 30-40 head. Never seen them on the east side. Years back we saw them on the west side by Slide tank. Also have seen them around the highway gravel pit north of Jacob off the highway.  Very large area to find them. AZGFD wants them harvested. They should locate them and help anyone with a tag. Just my opinion

I am guessing that if it is only 30-40 animals that they cant do alot to encroach on the deer, and the amount of resources it would take to track them would not be worth the effort or dollars. 

They also get idiots like me who plop down $50 for a tag I have almost zero shot at filling. It is free money. 

If they really wanted them gone they would issue an elk permit with every deer permit, and then if you filled the elk permit they gave you a 2nd deer tag as a bonus. 

Those elk would be gone quick. 

• Like 1

About 8 yrs back every deer hunter could buy an elk permit and buffalo permit for $125.00 ea.

On 10/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, wildwoody said:

There's a real small heard.

The good old days. Im sad i missed them