Sign in to follow this  
pahncho2121

Lead Core VS Solid Copper Ammo

I am switching my ammo this year away from solid copper and back to lead core. I leave Thursday for a coues hunt so I am hoping for an opportunity. I had an issue with the lack of expansion. I was curious though to see if I could get a factory inexpensive lead core ammo to shoot as good as the more expensive solid copper ammo. I filmed my results, just in case anyone else wondered the same thing.

https://youtu.be/Y_CxNhQ9AXw

I would never, EVER, switch ammo 3 days before I leave for a hunt.

But...  

What cartridge are you shooting?

What bullet are you shooting?

What barrel length and twist?

What preferred bullet weight?  

What is your max yardage?

A couple of those questions are answered in the video...

good luck with the hunt and let us know how it goes. I’d be interested to see if you get consistent groupings at longer yardage compared to the copper. 

We are talking bullet construction in relation to terminal performance and in relation to accuracy.  As far as the latter is concerned, I have never heard that all copper shoot more accurately than lead core in general.  So many variables, but in general, it's a case by case scenario.   A rifle may shoot a particular copper bullet better than any lead core bullets tested while another similar rifle may shoot lead core bullets more accurately.   What I am trying to say, is that there is no reason to assume that a solid copper bullet shoots better out of any rifle without testing.

On the subject of terminal performance, I suspect it is possible that a 139gr 7mm all copper bullet is constructed too stoutly for a coues deer.  People commonly use that bullet with success on elk.  I would be willing to bet that a handloaded 110gr Barnes bullet would be a better all copper bullet for coues  when using a 7mm/.284 caliber rifle.  

17 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

We are talking bullet construction in relation to terminal performance and in relation to accuracy.  As far as the latter is concerned, I have never heard that all copper shoot more accurately than lead core in general.  So many variables, but in general, it's a case by case scenario.   A rifle may shoot a particular copper bullet better than any lead core bullets tested while another similar rifle may shoot lead core bullets more accurately.   What I am trying to say, is that there is no reason to assume that a solid copper bullet shoots better out of any rifle without testing.

On the subject of terminal performance, I suspect it is possible that a 139gr 7mm all copper bullet is constructed too stoutly for a coues deer.  People commonly use that bullet with success on elk.  I would be willing to bet that a handloaded 110gr Barnes bullet would be a better all copper bullet for coues  when using a 7mm/.284 caliber rifle.  

When Barnes came out with the X-Bullet I loaded some 120's in my Savage. I think it was 69 grains of RL19 or 22. Anyway they were about 3400 and I smacked a 3x3 high up in 29, maybe 220 yds. DRT

Didn't even flop. Side canyon shot, he was about 30 yards lower facing away. Bullet hit about the 4th rib back and went through the backstrap and out the left side near the elbo. Lost a golfball size of meat. Boned it out, gutless method. I was alone and put him in my frame pack and hiked from 6400 down to the bottom of horseshoe at 4600w here we were camped. Should have rented a camcorder and saved it for Youtube. I would have been famous as the Godfather of the gutless method. LOL Taught lots of other newbies I mentored way back then when I had time  to do that.

Late December tags were close to 800 for 29 and some years you could get a second rifle tag. Mexican Gray Wolves were commonplace. Never needed to be reintroduced. I ofter wondered if that white Couse that G&F had a picture of in the lobby with a few other deer was the same one I chased for a few years. Talk of the town in Paradise, back in the day.

• Like 1