varnco

Unit 10 no luck

Cow hunt,been at it since opening, but haven't seen any elk except on the Indian reservation,of course.

Started on Bo, up north off hwy 18, (2 flat tires on one side of truck) then ended up north of pica camp, left after 3days and tried near segilman... Ditto.

Glassing is hard in these areas due to just junipers and rolling hills. Glassing to 1.5 miles out hiking 6+ miles daily.

Now, with 2 days left, I have moved to the kaibab near Williams (aka the zoo).

Didn't scout here, as I thought I would get it done on the Big Bo, so maybe just luck will get it done.

I can't believe I can't find any cow elk.

Beats any day at work!

My brother had the 10 cow hunt a few years back. We never saw an elk. He also had the deer tag that started the day after the cow hunt. First day of the deer hunt we had 3 cows and a bull walk right by us at 30 yrds ! It was like they knew.

• Like 1

Bugle and cow call at first light.  Find the bulls, you will find cows.  It has worked for us numerous times.

• Like 2

I dont know 10, but they're probably hiding out in the canyons. They've been pushed for a month now.

10 is a huge unit, with limited glassing. Unless you really know the unit, it can be tough. There isn't a 350 bull around every tree, like people seem to believe. 

We just got back from there yesterday.  Only elk we saw was Saturday morning when we bumped a herd right before light.  Couldn't really tell exactly how many, we could hear some bulls bugling and glassed some bulls up at light but never saw the cows, definitely was fustrating.  Then we found a dead cow that the people that killed it didn't take the backstraps off of.  The hardest part of the hunt was definitely trying to get away from hunters.

• Like 1

Sounds like you made the effort.  I have had many a bowl of tag soup.  No shame in it as long as you try.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2018 at 4:12 PM, lancetkenyon said:

Bugle and cow call at first light.  Find the bulls, you will find cows.  It has worked for us numerous times.

Thanks... will try it next time. Did some cow calling, but got nothing, but didn't try bugle, since the rut is relatively over... next time.