Sign in to follow this  
BRichard

DIY game bags

My wife is pretty good with a needle and thread and has offered to make me up some game bags.......looking for recommendations on material....or should i just buy some.

Also, along those lines, for the backpack hunters out there, what do you carry with you to dress out you deer in the field?  Im thinking a good skinning knife, a boning knife, and some latex gloves?  Ive always hung mine out of a tree.....and never to to far away from the truck. 

I like these. They are very nice game bags, and are 100% reusable. They come in a nice carrying bag with orange marking tape, and latex gloves. I'm guessing these bags should last at least 10 years or more. They are super lightweight, and don't take up much room in your bag. 

https://www.blackovis.com/ovis-sacks-lightweight-game-bags

• Like 2

I don’t use hanging bags, if I’m far away I’ll pepper the meat (keep a big thing of Mckormick with you) and wrap it in cheese cloth. And more pepper outside the cloth. Keeps bugs away and as long as it’s cool and your processing within 3 days or so, your meat will be ok. Biggest thing is to get the heat out. After killing split the hams and completely disassemble the animal to dicipate heat, that helps the most!

• Like 2

Pillowcases are good if you already have extra you don't care about.  I did and had my mom stitch them real good but then they didn't get returned to me from the processor. It comes down to buying Anything vs what you already have. You might be able to buy pillowcases dirt cheap from a re use it place or salvation army.  But compared to what you can get black ovis for off of camofire I don't think you could make them cheaper.  And since you mentioned backpacking,  pillowcases will never be lighter then the black ovis. So once you consider the cost to make them vs the weight i say black ovis all the way.

• Like 1

I all so like the reflective strip on them makes them easy to locate and to follow they guy in front when packing out at night