IA Born

Thoughts On A Shotgun: Keep or Sell?

Yep, it's a keeper. I still have the first and last guns my dad shot. A Remington model 6 .22 was his first, and a Beretta 682 gold E was his sporting clays gun. Once they're sold, nearly impossible to get back.

• Like 1

Just After 911 I sold a shitpot (more than 75) of firearms to make life easier and pay off some bills.

The ones I sold were ones I bought just generic stuff I had to have barrett and mc millian 50's some custom one I built all my ak's, sks's most of my ar's and a ton of bolt guns bunch of pistols including my contenders in super14 with a ton of barrels..

ones I kept anything I got as a gift( dad and I always bought each other 3-5 guns a year) ,, all shotguns, ruger #1's  and all my old stuff I bought as a kid. for the last 5-8 years I been trying to buy back the firearms Ive sold or ones like it. next to impossible. I did get a pair of 10" ruger mkII bull barrel ss and blued pistols. Spur of them moment deal at cabelas on a barrett 50, but backed out on my way back with the cash, just couldnt buy something for 3 times the priced that I got mine for. and yet still had to buy optics. its hard to spend money on guns you once had its just not the same once there gone.

Most of my guys are safe queen anyhow except of the yote guns and a few of the O/U shotguns we use for quail.. some guns are fun to shoot but most are fun to just look at and know you have them when you want to shoot them. My winchester 101 I bought new  in the 80's never fired a round through it  until about 5 years ago went and shot  skeet with my Daughter with it to see how it compared to the baretta

My opinion is sell it.  I have a few reasons.  One is because I'm not a big shotgun guy.  I have three and those seem to be enough for me.  Another is because he would be getting a rifle that he will use and not something that will sit there.  I understand the sentimental value but, maybe find another hand-me-down and put a lot of love in it.  This is coming from someone that has 45+ guns and about 20 of them were passed on to me.

My vote is with those who say keep it. I have my grandfathers 4 guns. They are old and ugly but the few things of his that I have. When I was old enough  to hunt & fish he was in no shape to take me. I made him tell me all his hunting and fishing stories. I have been passing those on to my boys. 

They have saved monies from birthdays and Christmas and jobs I paid them for to buy their own guns. I have helps some too but they treasure those purchases. 

• Like 1

Keep it and pass it on , that where belongs.....

Just make a new purchase when neccessary, that's my opinion as I have guns from both of my grandpas. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 12:59 PM, recurveman said:

SOLUTION - BUY ANOTHER GUN SAFE!!!!!!!!!   YOUR WELCOME.  

I"m already trying to figure out how to tell my wife we need to sell the second, smaller, safe, and get a bigger one! 

Thanks again for the perspectives on this.  In the end, the idea of having a 1963 version of my favorite shotgun rules the day.  I have three other guns of his, that I actually cherish more.  My grandpa was a meat cutter for most of his life in southeast Iowa.  He had the slaughter house outside of town, and the meat shop in town.  I spent a great deal of time with him at the slaughter house and I have the old Ithaca M49 single shot .22 that he used to dispatch cattle.  I'd like to get that one functional again.  I also have his Remington 572 pump .22, which I didn't know he had until he passed.  I jumped on that one.  The most-prized one, though, is an old H&R Topper 148.  It was one of the few with a receiver strong enough for both shotgun and rifle cartridges.  It has both 20ga and .30-30 barrels.  He kept that one on the shelf in the back of his truck camper for "turtle control" at the farm ponds we fished.  I never saw him use it, but I was always infatuated with it because I was around it so much from fishing with him all the time.  The barrel is worn down with no bluing from being dragged in and out of his truck (carpeted shelf) all the time.  Every time I see that firearm, it takes me back to the farm ponds we used to fish.  That's the one I most want to refinish and make sure it works properly.

• Like 2

Old guns past down to younger generation is more meaningful to them then it is for you.  Glad to hear your going to keep it.