broadhead

A Little Rut Spot and Stalk Advice Needed

Hello,

Looking for a little advice. Last year was my first season bowhunting the rut in Arizona and it was mostly done by glassing for bucks chasing does while sitting on a nice choke point in ambush. Saw plenty of deer and made a couple moves on a nice buck that turned out to be much better at staying alive than I was at closing the distance on him. Even though I saw plenty of bucks on their feet I had a really tough time trying to figure out how to get in position to get a shot on one since their movement in the open was almost impossible to predict. If any of you guys who have experience doing this can provide a little advice for me I'd really appreciate it. Do you wait until you see a buck you want bed a doe or try to cut them off as they chase? Thanks.

Ok cool thanks. Just from doing some reading I get the impression that when they're moving that much chasing does either try to cut them off on a saddle or a likely choke point or wait until a buck is locking down a doe. Anything other than that seems like it would be too tough to try to guess their movement. Thanks again.

I've killed most of mine by waiting for them to bed from a distance then moving in once the conditions are right. Ambushed one at his doe. At least a few were on their feet while I stalked them. One I got still hunting and my biggest bowkill was a spot then still hunt combo. Did call in a buck once too but missed him. The terrain probably dictates my hunting tactics more then anything.

• Like 2