Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Keeping M/L loaded during hunt

The question came up (thanks Sean), is it ok to leave it loaded, concern for moisture getting to powder? I have an inline, using white hots pellets. My thought is, loaded or not, the pellet powder is still going to be in the same environment while on the hunt.

What's your thoughts guys?

• Like 2

On my wife's elk hunt, we left it loaded until she killed on day 5. It is since that hunt that I have heard you should discharge your muzzleloader load each day. I'm looking forward to hearing from individuals with more muzzleloader experience than I have. 

Another friend of mine had this to say on the subject:

"I have input on the loading and unloading question...  Large temperature changes create moisture, so when I get home, and it's cold out, like under freezing, I leave my muzzle loader outside in the cold if I'm going to hunt the next day, or so.  If I brought it in from the cold, condensation would occur inside the barrel and the powder would be affected.   If I'm not going to hunt for 5 or so days, I generally shoot it.  Hope this helps."

Using cap and ball real BP rifle I would remove cap at night and drop hammer over the nipple covered with a piece of bicycle inner tube. in the morning put a new cap on nipple. Would work for several days hunting never had an issue.

• Like 1

Dry conditions you are good for a week or so. Wet conditions means new powder everyday. 

• Like 1

Just tested this theory last week, my sons gun was loaded all 7 days without firing and he neglected to put the condum on the barrel when we got hit with rain and hail so when we got back to the truck I poured water out of the front of the scope  and from the barrel. We hunted 2 more days and then unloaded the gun at 100 yards and it was on zero. 

Modern gun with loose powder and sobots 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2018 at 7:22 AM, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Just tested this theory last week, my sons gun was loaded all 7 days without firing and he neglected to put the condum on the barrel when we got hit with rain and hail so when we got back to the truck I poured water out of the front of the scope  and from the barrel. We hunted 2 more days and then unloaded the gun at 100 yards and it was on zero. 

Modern gun with loose powder and sobots 

It makes sense that a sabot type projectile would tend to provide a protective seal for the powder behind it.

37 minutes ago, Couestracker said:

It makes sense that a sabot type projectile would tend to provide a protective seal for the powder behind it.

That is what I always thought. 

Carried my cap and ball Cumberland Club around four days last week.  I use 1 and a half pellets for 75gr and a Powerbelt projo. The cut pellet makes for an excellent surface for the ignition. No powder issues.

However, I did have issues with the caps. The caps are not nearly as moisture resistant as the primers used in modern inlines. To make matters worse, they come in a tin that collects condensation like a sponge, put 'em in a pouch.. I've read there's a German made cap that's much more reliable but finding them aint so easy.

I'll be converting the club to a primer fired musket soon. 

• Like 1