This spring I'd like to start reloading, what would be the basic equipment for a beginner? I will be reloading for my rifles almost exclusively.

Most of the company's that sell reloading components have kits that have the basics to get you started. A press, some sort of a scale, a reloading manual, a trimmer, a caliper, and you will need dies, bullets and powder. Assuming you have saved your brass. Another question to ask yourself is how much are you going to use it? If you are just going to load up a box a year, you probably will never recoup your cost.

RCBS Rockchucker press.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/513567/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-single-stage-press

RCBS scale. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/232621/rcbs-m500-mechanical-powder-scale

Lee Powder Dippers.   https://www.midwayusa.com/product/943305/lee-improved-powder-measure-kit

Forster Case Trimmer.  The RCBS trimmer works too.   https://www.midwayusa.com/product/614276/forster-original-case-trimmer-kit

Satern aluminum anti-static funnels, caliber specific.   they fit the necks well and powder does not cling to the funnel.   https://www.midwayusa.com/product/294705/satern-powder-funnel-264-caliber-65mm-aluminum-and-brass

Priming tool.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/582486/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-perfect-seat-hand-priming-tool

Reloading Trays. I like the base specific ones rather than universal as they hold the case better.   https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019379134/national-metallic-reloading-tray-50-round

Shell Holders. https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-19786%2B4294967253%3FNp%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%28p_visible%3A1%2Ccustomertypeid%3A1%29%26Nrpp%3D24%26Ns%3Dp_metric_sales_velocity%7C1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1&userItemsPerPage=48&persistedItemsPerPage=0

Case OAL Gauge.  Very useful to set bullet depth a certain distance off the lands.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/570611/hornady-lock-n-load-overall-length-gauge-bolt-action

Comparator set to use with OAL gauge and caliper.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/231904/hornady-lock-n-load-bullet-comparator-basic-set-with-6-inserts

OAL case dummies. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012753414/hornady-lock-n-load-overall-length-gauge-modified-case

Digital Caliper.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/297498/national-metallic-digital-caliper-6-stainless-steel

Primer Pocket cleaner.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/467111/lee-primer-pocket-cleaner

For dies, I like Forster micrometer seating dies and Redding.

There are many options and brand to choose from.  Above is what I use.  Others may have less or more essential tools and preferences.  Most of the powder and bullet companies provide reloading data online.

One can also spend more and get power trimmers, RCBS or Frankford power case prep center, and RCBS Chargemasters, case neck turners, concentricity gauges, flash hole uniformers, high quality Lapua Norma brass.  As 10Turkeys said, a lot depends on how much you shoot, spare time to reload and range time to test loads, $ to invest.  Factory ammo is much better than 30 years ago and sometimes a good factory load is not worth trying best by handloading, unless you like just trying different bullets for S&G like I do.

• Like 2

If you reload much you will find some of the stuff RCBS sells is cheap plastic crap. That being said the RCBS rockchuker kit gives a guy a good start and you can later replace the few cheaper items that come in the kit if as your reloading skills increase. 

• Like 1

Be aware.....reloading will NOT save you money.  It will, however, allow you to shoot exactly what you want, and develop a load that is best suited to YOUR rifle.  Buy the high quality components, you will get more consistent results, and consistency=accuracy.

A good single stage press is all you will ever need unless you are bulk loading the likes of .223 or .308 for a gas gun that eats a lot.  Hornady, RCBS Redding, etc are all good.  Get a full frame, not a "C" frame press.

Scales.  I have a Hornady Auto scale & throw.  I throw to within .3 grains, then transfer over to an RCBS 5-0-5 and trickle up the individual kernel.  I have a GemPro 250 electronic that I verify every 3rd charge too.  RCBS Chargemaster is good too.  But to me, .1gr accuracy is not enough.  .02gr is vital in my opinion for low ES, SD, and accuracy.

Trimmers.  I use a Forster myself.  You will need pilots for each caliber you reload.

Primers.  I use an RCBS hand primer.

Calipers.  I used a cheap Harbor Freight Pittsburg for a long time.  Not terrible.  I now use an iGauging EZCal.  Way nice.  As good as a Mitutomo from many reviews, and about 1/3 the cost.  Very precise.  You will need headspace gushes and caliber specific inserts for seating depth.  Keeping exact jump to lands consistent is imperative to accuracy.  I strive for no more than .001" variance in CBTO (cartridge base to ogive). I don't worry about COAL (cartridge overall length) as long as it fits in the mag box.

Powder funnel.  Get one.  

Dies.  I like Redding die sets for most cartridges.  I get a lot of sets with a micrometer seating die, so it makes adjusting seating depth easy.  Not necessary, but much simpler.  Especially if you load for more than one rifle or more than one bullet in a particular cartridge.  Whidden, Forster and Dillon are great.  RCBS are good, especially for the price.  Hornady are mediocre.  Lee are decent as well.  Full length (FL) dies are a must in my opinion for hunting rifles where you want the round to chamber easily.  Neck size dies have their place, but not my 1st choice for hunting rounds.  Learn how to set dies up for YOUR rifle.

Shell holder.  RCBS & Redding are fine.  Don't mix and match once you get a load worked up.  It can make a difference in resizing and seating depths.  Major head diameters are .473"(standard cartridges), .532" (magnum cartridges), and .534" (SAUM, WSM, RUMs).

Reloading manuals.  Even though new ones come out every few years, hard to get started without a couple.  I have 8 or so.  I still reference them.  Most bullet and powdermanufacturers have their own.  Be careful substituting bullets for similar ones from another brand or weight.  There are websites that have reloading info, but not all guns are created equal.  What works in one, may be unsafe in another.

Lots of reloading knowledge on here.  Once you get set up, make sure you glean as much info as you can before buying consumables.

I load between 6000-8000 rounds a year.  All on a single stage press for quality, not quantity.  Ask lots of questions.  You will get varied answers, with lots of opinions.  Learn from them from people who have done the trial and error before you.

• Like 3

Follow everything Lance said.  

I think the reloading manuals are the first thing to start with.  You can read up on the fundamentals in those because they're about half load data and half educational.

I will add the Hornady case trimmer to the list, its awesome. MEC single stage press, the shell holder floats in the ram giving VERY concentric rounds,  the only down side to the press is the inability to prime your cartridges, I use  RCBS auto prime which is also very nice. You will also need a bullet puller, I use the Hornady bullet puller listed below, I bought it when they first started making them and love it. Take a little bit of time and follow the directions for it and you wont have any problems with it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/851547/hornady-cam-lock-bullet-puller

• Like 1

I would recommend the rock chucker press. 

I taught myself to do basic Reloading from reading reloading manuals when I was about 12 years old. My dad bought a used reloading set, and I talked myself with learning how to use it. 

Get a digital caliper and reasonable quality components to start. I am not a master reloaded, and learn new stuff alot. 

Lance's post above and many other older posts will get you headed in the right direction. 

Also Sierra bullets has videos on reloading from beginner to advanced, I know the advanced one is made by David Tubb. I've had the advanced one for so long it's VHS.

38 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Also Sierra bullets has videos on reloading from beginner to advanced, I know the advanced one is made by David Tubb. I've had the advanced one for so long it's VHS.

Did he ever do his own reloading. I know when I talked to him years ago at the Nationals in Raton he had a guy who did all his reloading.

12 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Did he ever do his own reloading. I know when I talked to him years ago at the Nationals in Raton he had a guy who did all his reloading.

I don't know. In the video he did on a Dillon. Kind of interesting, he took the factory powder measure off and rigged up a Harrels on it. Tubb was retired from Silhouette when I started shooting. I met him once in Raton, when the Silhouette Nationals was going on and the Palma Team was there practicing, he came over to see his Texas buds. I found him very personable. I've found that about 50% think he walks on water and the other half doesn't. Another thing that was interesting there is that when Tubb stopped shooting Silhouette he had 20 National titles, another was there that had 20 National titles, Augistin Sanchez , seeing them both toghether was kind of neet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

I don't know. In the video he did on a Dillon. Kind of interesting, he took the factory powder measure off and rigged up a Harrels on it. Tubb was retired from Silhouette when I started shooting. I met him once in Raton, when the Silhouette Nationals was going on and the Palma Team was there practicing, he came over to see his Texas buds. I found him very personable. I've found that about 50% think he walks on water and the other half doesn't. Another thing that was interesting there is that when Tubb stopped shooting Silhouette he had 20 National titles, another was there that had 20 National titles, Augistin Sanchez , seeing them both toghether was kind of neet.

Amazing shooter, even with his knees. I think he was shooting a chin gun the year I went. Agree, he is very personable.

starting to reload...... Well if I was a hunter that liked to shoot my gun 2-3 times a year and might shoot 100 rounds a year I would highly consider shooting factory ammo.   quality factory ammo will shoot 500+ yards and easily kill critters.   If you are shooting 300+ rounds per year (for multiple years) AND need more accuracy then I would consider reloading.   Reloading takes a bunch of time.   I've probably have shot more rounds that shoot like crap out of my guns than rounds that have shot good.    I've put rounds down range that have actually hit the target sideways (more than once).   I can turn a MOA gun into a 4 MOA frequently.   I've seen bolts of guns that wouldn't open after they have been fired (I didn't reload that ammo).  Don't forget a bullet puller.  you WILL need one.   

I love reloading and have a few pet loads that are super accurate.   reloading isn't cheaper than factory ammo.   Not even close.   You can have marginal gains with reloading but for most hunting applications reloading isn't needed.   If you dig messing with guns then reloading is a blast.   My father in law is really into LR shooting competitions.   He has just about everything a guy could want related to guns and reloading.   If it can be measured he has multiple tools to do it.   

Chronograph.   You have to have a chronograph.   You will need to measure the speed of each shot to see if you have consistency.   Plus, you will need the speed for your charts.   Reloading without a graph can be done but it is tough.   The vast majority of my shots are using a chrono.   If I'm load developing I WILL use a chrono.      

FIND A RELOADING friend.   Your learning curve (and stress level) will be better with help from a friend with some experience.   

• Like 2

As someone who went from total beginner to something intermediate in the last few years, this is growing to be one of the best "how to get into reloading" threads CWT has had. Lots of great info here, especially if you couple it with some of Lance's load development threads to illustrate the process.

If WOW comes to mind when reading all of the "needs," really consider whether reloading is for you or not. I started with a rock chucker kit and went from $350 invested in my reloading setup to doubling that several times over in just 3 years. I would think the same holds true for anyone under the belief that if you're going to do something, you gotta do it right. It is tough to just buy a kit and seat bullets into cases once you see how everything works, and crave to understand what you don't know yet. Quick example, I have a $300 savage that shoots 1/4" groups at 100 yards. I'm still playing with new combinations and chasing new loads. Then of course you have to wait for your barrel to cool in between shots, so now you need another rifle to chase loads for, and another.. It's sick.  

If you're still thinking yes, do it! It is extremely rewarding. 

• Like 1

A chrono is a nicety but by no means necessary. Until the Chrony came out literally no hobbyist had a chrono. Reloading manuals are very close to reality and one of the first lessons is observation. Now if you are going to shoot ballistic long range you will need one if you rely on the multitude of apps out there.