IA Born

Son's Black Belt Journey: Request

Just now, rossislider said:

I don't know anything about fly fishing (who has time for ANOTHER outdoor vise), but would like to help him out. Do you have a Venmo account? I'll send him a few bucks and if he likes he can donate the flies to a good organization.

and if you don't have a Venmo account, get one! That goes for everyone. Easiest way out there to send and receive money at no cost. My family and friends use it all the time to pay each other. Do people even use cash these days?

11 minutes ago, rossislider said:

I don't know anything about fly fishing (who has time for ANOTHER outdoor vise), but would like to help him out. Do you have a Venmo account? I'll send him a few bucks and if he likes he can donate the flies to a good organization.

No Venmo account.  I've heard others talk about it, but I don't trust that stuff.  I'll see what my wife says, since she's the tech guru.  I still hate that I have to use a GPS up here in these flat forests.  I miss using my map/compass to navigate and triangulate down in SE AZ!

11 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

What should make you tear up is knowing you can never discipline him because he'll just kick your butt.

I have to call him "Sir" in class since he outranks me, but I made it clear that its only in class!  I got to spar him last night and he had to dumb down his kicks to be at my level.  He got some good shots on me, but told me I punched him too hard a couple of times!  Oops...

• Like 2

First off, what your son is doing is amazing - I had no idea of the community service aspect of attaining a black belt. Secondly, +1 on the semi seals - great all around fly.

My dad is very active in the White Mountain Fly Fishing club - used to be the president of it. I forwarded him a link to this thread, Besides just a bunch of old guys who fly fish, they are pretty active in terms of taking Wounded Warriors fishing, community projects, etc. I hope they can chip in for a great cause. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coach said:

First off, what your son is doing is amazing - I had no idea of the community service aspect of attaining a black belt. Secondly, +1 on the semi seals - great all around fly.

My dad is very active in the White Mountain Fly Fishing club - used to be the president of it. I forwarded him a link to this thread, Besides just a bunch of old guys who fly fish, they are pretty active in terms of taking Wounded Warriors fishing, community projects, etc. I hope they can chip in for a great cause. 

That's awesome, Coach!  Thanks! One of my good friend's dad is involved in that club.  He has to complete 16 hours of community service, and he's been approved to help me sell raffle tickets for our NWTF chapter here, since its a fundraiser.  After tomorrow, he'll have 9 of his 16 hours.  Then he plans to help me with an upcoming Hunter Ed class and work his butt off at our NTWF banquet in early March.  He also has to develop an improvement for the studio, which I forgot to mention earlier.  That would be awesome if they could chip in.

Jacob has completed 2/3 of Stoney4325's order and is working on getting Non-Typical Solutions' woolly worm just right.  Almost there on that one!  What I like most, besides the obvious part of his thinking this up, getting super excited, and carrying it out, is that when he messes up, I get another fly in my box!

21 hours ago, Coach said:

Here's another resource close to home - nazflycasters.com

I need to get involved in that group, but every time I started down that road, I'm reminded how many irons I already have in the fire.  I need to get involved, tough!

45 minutes ago, stoney4325 said:

Hi,

His flies work! Hooked on to a nice one but my line broke before i could get a picture. I was at the duck pond

tell him thanks and good luck!

That's awesome, Dana.  He will be excited when I tell him when I pick him up from school.  Which fly did you lose?  We'll replace it!  And thanks for the plug, support, and encouragement.  A friend in Texas just ordered $50 worth of wooly buggers for bass!  We're thinking he's going to learn to make poppers now!

Hey, have Jacob make me up about 40.00$ worth of whatever assortment of flys he feels would be good for Wyoming rivers in September . 

PM me where I can send a check and I'll get it on its way asap. No rush on delivery as I won't be in Wyoming until September next year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Hey, have Jacob make me up about 40.00$ worth of whatever assortment of flys he feels would be good for Wyoming rivers in September . 

PM me where I can send a check and I'll get it on its way asap. No rush on delivery as I won't be in Wyoming until September next year. 

That's awesome and thanks!  I told him about this on our way to TKD.  We're thinking elk hair caddis, parachute adams, griffiths gnat (#10 and #22), and some pheasant tail nymphs.  Will that work?  I'll pm you.

• Like 1

First off, let me say THANK YOU on behalf of Jacob and myself to everyone who has ordered flies and/or sent a donation in to Jacob.  I am truly blessed and humbled and you have reminded of the many things we have to be thankful for.

Now I have another request.  We received one helluva sizable check today, made out to me, labeled for "flyfishingflies".  It is an automated check from WRG in Pasadena, CA.  It appears to be from a credit union out in Pasadena, associated with Wescom Resources Group.  I have taken great care to write down and keep track of every fly order and everyone who has said they'd donate, but don't want flies.  I can't make out the name on the check and its not close to name I recognize from screen names I know on here.  Does anyone here know Kevin Sarber (I think that's what I'm reading right) associated with Wescom Resources Group?  I really want/need to track him down so that Jacob and I can thank him for his generous donation to Jacob's black belt journey and see if he wants any flies.  I'd sure appreciate any help I can get tracking this awesome gentleman down!

• Like 1

That is awesome! My 13 year old is in OKKK (Okinawan kenpo karate kobudo) and is currently a middle brown. He has to write a 15 page essay on Following the grade master and what he has learned coming up through  the ranks. He is going to start teaching a friends grandkid (under the direction of his Sensei) as part of him being able to promote to a Black belt. There is more involvement in martial arts than just kicking hitting and blocking. It is actually pretty cool.

Its time for an update and a HUGE THANK YOU!!!  Because of the generosity of many of you, Jacob reached his goal from tying flies.  He has two orders to finish up from another friend outside of the CW community, but he reached his goal thanks, in large part, because of the community here.  We are humbled in our household.

Jacob is still willing to tie flies since he is now working towards a new rifle build for when he outgrows his current youth 7mm-08.  During the government shutdown, he offered to sell flies to help us cover the bills until I got back to work and paychecks started rolling back in.  His heart amazes and humbles me.  Along the way of this process, he also decided to learn how to tie bass poppers and, after a friend requested them, he learned Muddler minnows.  It took him a few tries, but his #10 Muddlers are pretty darn good!  He also got really good at parachute adams and pheasant tails.  He's also going to learn the prince nymph (bead head) after another special request.  And he keeps talking about learning crazy charlies for when we go back after bonefish! I told him to get good at the freshwater stuff, first.  If you're interested in more or new, holler.

Most importantly, THANK YOU for your support!

Bass popper

362491590_BassPopper.thumb.jpg.02f70077e7e67d0f68bc2ad4014b37e0.jpg

Pheasant Tail Nymph

913836611_PheasantTail.thumb.jpg.2bded0b981834a646b422de6958b5b40.jpg

Muddler minnow

1939879536_MuddlerMinnow.thumb.jpg.f10bd0fc89bd1b2a59c94f45d95bb335.jpg