IA Born

Son's Black Belt Journey: Request

Our son, Jacob, who turns 11 next month, started his year-long journey to get his black belt through our TaeKwanDo studio this past Wednesday.  I can't speak for other studios, but I know getting your black belt in this studio is a difficult process.  Among the many things he has to do, he has to raise the $550 black belt promotion fee on his own.  One of the ways he wants to raise that money is to tie flies for fly fishing and accept donations for them, since we technically can't sell them.  He does great with woolly buggers, and does pretty well with elk hair caddis, parachute adams, foam beetles, griffiths gnats (down to #22), and a couple of nymphs.  He recently tied 12 woolly buggers for a friend in Iowa (4x#10, 4x#12, 4x#14) for farm pond bluegills and the guy sent him $20 to start his journey.  I explained to my wife that we, as parents, are probably going to lose money on this deal, but we have to support his journey and his thought process. 

You obviously won't hurt our feelings if you say no and pass this, but Jacob would appreciate any consideration.  You can PM me or text me if you have my number if you are interested and want to place orders.  Below are some samples of his work.  Thanks for reading this and, most importantly, considering helping Jacob.  These are not even close to professional-grade flies, but, as an avid fly-fisherman, I think he's off to a good start and I've helped him figure out he can make them look more like what they are supposed to.  The top left fly in the middle pic is his first attempt at an elk hair caddis.  I told him it was a good start, but it needed work.  The elk hair caddis in the bottom pic is his second attempt, after getting a better "how-to" video on Youtube.  That's my favorite fly out here, so I was very critical of how he needs to tie it. 

1257912003_WoolyBuggers.thumb.jpg.72f4d3741bdea722d9181ec898f04836.jpg

159975053_BeetleandBugger.thumb.jpg.d98519be176f3c25d4fb0e583fe177b3.jpg

448714788_ElkHairCaddis.thumb.jpg.b0239dbd79adf794c3268271bc273ae1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, Edge said:

What belt is he now?

Jacob has his blue with red stripe now.  In February, he'll test for his red belt.  In June 2019, he'll test for his red with black stripe, and in October 2019, he'll test for his black belt.  All of this, of course, is assuming he doesn't make any mistakes during interim stripe screening where he shows he's learning his new forms, kicks, blocks, etc along the way.  At this point, he has ZERO room for mistakes.

I recommend he also try tying Semi Seal Leaches.  They are REALLY good Az flies and really easy to tie.  Great job getting him on a solid road to life success!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Big Browns said:

I recommend he also try tying Semi Seal Leaches.  They are REALLY good Az flies and really easy to tie.  Great job getting him on a solid road to life success!

Thanks!  We'll take a look at that one.  He's now teaching me how to do it.  I can vouch that anyone who gets one wants one of his flies and not mine!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

The first wooly has banding like I want except gold band on the brown wooly in the other two pictures with the ruler! I want a dozen and will glady donate to a great cause for one of my favorite wooly's ever that I can't find anywhere!

fly1.jpg.c35e68416d265ad64b987dd14ea136f1.jpg

fly3.jpg.bcfa749c98292362b8f25322910066d4.jpg

fly2.jpg.77dec4142bfe17e3ef37e2309bea310a.jpg

Got your PM and will follow up there, too.  I'm thinking we'll get the gold banding and he'll tie one up for a demo to see if its what you like.  If its what you want, he'll get a dozen done for you.  If its not what you want, we'll take suggestions on how to make it what you want to the best of his ability and go from there!

• Like 1

Sounds like a worthy cause but I don't fly fish!  Any ideas for those unwashed, uncivilized heathens like me that use spinning gear?

After seeing the smile on my 5 year olds face after he earned his first white belt stripe in juijitsu, I'd love to help your son.

I don't fly fish but I'd love to donate.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Heat said:

Sounds like a worthy cause but I don't fly fish!  Any ideas for those unwashed, uncivilized heathens like me that use spinning gear?

First off, I'm in no position to judge non-fly fishers. I grew up catching catfish with stink bait on the Des Moines River in central Iowa. That was some of my favorite fishing!

I've seen many spinfishers use those clear plastic casting bubbles with flies. I've seen folks use woolly huggers, nymphs, and dries with those bubbles. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

After seeing the smile on my 5 year olds face after he earned his first white belt stripe in juijitsu, I'd love to help your son.

I don't fly fish but I'd love to donate.

Cool thing isn't it? Jacob started at 7 and has had plenty of success mixed with failure. I'll never forget the first time he wasn't given his belt because he messed up. It hurt me so bad, but he knew he didn't earn it and, as bad as it hurt him, he came back the next month and rocked that promotion. 

I won't tell you no, but you have to promise to hit me up when your son needs something!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IA Born said:

Cool thing isn't it? Jacob started at 7 and has had plenty of success mixed with failure. I'll never forget the first time he wasn't given his belt because he messed up. It hurt me so bad, but he knew he didn't earn it and, as bad as it hurt him, he came back the next month and rocked that promotion. 

I won't tell you no, but you have to promise to hit me up when your son needs something!

My friends called me a puss,  but I'm not gonna lie.... when he earned his stripe I teared up a little. 

5 years old, type 1 diabetic since his 2nd birthday and kicking butt and taking names in juijitsu.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

My friends called me a puss,  but I'm not gonna lie.... when he earned his stripe I teared up a little. 

5 years old, type 1 diabetic since his 2nd birthday and kicking butt and taking names in juijitsu.

Definitely no judgement here. Jacob is in great physical shape, but is that skinny turd that has to run around the shower to get wet. I've gotten teared up on plenty of his belts. When he was 8, he did 71 perfect pushups without stopping, and now he's one of my instructors. I got teared up when I got my white w/yellow stripe belt because of how much work he put into teaching me what I needed to know.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about fly fishing (who has time for ANOTHER outdoor vise), but would like to help him out. Do you have a Venmo account? I'll send him a few bucks and if he likes he can donate the flies to a good organization.

• Like 1