Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

FFP VS 2ND FP, POI change

How much of a difference is there of the POI? Does it vary by scope? Distance? Does it matter if its lets say under 400 yards? I've wondered this for awhile since I only have one FFP scope and all the others are 2nd.

The purpose of intention does vary by scope.. 

a 3x9 is intended for a closer shot let’s say out to 350 yds.

a 4-12 is intended for little bit further distance and so on.

your Favorite First Projectile scope is just that. And that is why your 2nd is your second choice. 

51 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

your Favorite First Projectile scope is just that. And that is why your 2nd is your second choice. 

48 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

I hope this helps. Pm me if you have any other questions. Thanks

I have MANY questions on this post....

1.  What?

2.  Are you being serious?  (If "Yes", see #5)

3.  Are you being sarcastic?  (Similar to #4)

4.  Are you just messing with us?

5.  Are you drunk?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AZBIG10 said:

This 

• Haha 1

First focal plane vs 2nd focal plane point of impact.  I've always read that a second focal plane scope is only meant to be used at full power and less then full power would shift the point of impact.  I'm just wondering how much of a change it makes.  

Too much too type - 

Kev- do some reading on FFP vs. SFP then your question can be clarified. It doesn't make sense. 

The only POI you may be referencing is the reticle on a FFP scope gets a bit thicker on higher power relative to SFP, and you are asking if this shifts POA? The answer is no....

I prefer FFP for it all so I can use my reticle for ranging, plus I never dial for windage, I hold for it which is something that cannot be done accurately with a SFP....

9 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

Do you think FFP is an acronym for Favorite First Projectile? 

I was trying to think of a nice way to say "your question makes no sense" when I first saw this topic. But as triggered as guys get on these boards I didn't want to offend anyone. The responses to AZBIG10s obviously facetious post are a perfect example.

OP: A BDC on a SFP optic is typically only going to be accurate at Max magnification. Maybe that's what you've heard and are referring to?

Brother, I'm not triggered. Trust me....grin....

If his post was facetious, it's got to be more obvious. There are tons of people who are a little slow all over the internet and who are more unfortunately allowed to vote. Hopefully his post was a big fat joke. 

I think it’s a serious question, though maybe not worded well. And good luck triggering Kev. LoL

check out this video...explains the difference and may answer your question. 

http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/first_vs_second_focal_plane

i think you’re asking on a 2nd focal plane how much difference there will be if you’re using BDC type reticle at less than max magnification. I’ve never seen specific data on this, but could easily shoot a little and find out for your rifle. I guess it could be off (high I think...but only one cup of coffee on-board) by as much as 4x the drop between each reticle subtension if you were shooting at 4x instead of 16x for example. 

On youth hunt last year, my buddy’s daughter missed a buck at about 250 yds and didn’t even see where she hit. After the shot he realized he had turned down the zoom to help her find the buck in the scope, then didn’t turn it back up before the shot using one of the BDC subtensions. Lots of other factors and that wasn’t her only miss on that hunt, but if that’s any indication the POI was different enough to completely miss. 

Maybe I’m crazy too, but I think this is what Kev is asking and the question makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

I understand on a bdc reticle why it would only be accurate at full zoom on a second focal plane. I was under the impression that your zero would be off at 100 yards (slightly) at 3 power vs it being zeroed at full zoom (12 power)  at 100 yards.  By the reactions to the question im gathering that this is not the case.

13 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I understand on a bdc reticle why it would only be accurate at full zoom on a second focal plane. I was under the impression that your zero would be off at 100 yards (slightly) at 3 power vs it being zeroed at full zoom (12 power)  at 100 yards.  By the reactions to the question im gathering that this is not the case.

I guess I missed that question completely. LoL

i’ve never heard that before and wouldn’t make logical sense to me. Single point (ie crosshairs dead center) shouldn’t change relative to the image size.