Sign in to follow this  
Saguaro

Horny Toads

I was talking to someone at work about the drought and how I would hear frogs at night from my bedroom in the late 80s and how those days are gone.  He brought up Horny Toads and how scarce they are and it made me think, I haven't seen one in maybe 25 years.  Before that I would see at least one a week. Do any of you still see them?

I remember when I was a kid (I’m 30 now) we would find tons of them on a regular basis it seemed. A few years back I had the same question- what happened to all the horny toads? 

I still see them on occasion though. The last one we found was in August in 24A. 

They are easily found all around in the higher elevations of Mt Lemmon (unit 33). Whenever the kids and I go exploring we always seem to find 1-2.

My wife and mother and I were just having this same conversation at dinner. My wife has never seen one, the next weekend out scouting we found one, wife thought it was a iguana lol. Unit 27

20181013_120054.jpg

14 minutes ago, Huntnfish said:

Seen 2 in unit7 helping on a goat hunt three weeks ago. Before that, haven't seen one in quite a while.

Last one I saw was a few years ago in 7W too.  Little bitty guy.

20150926_103530_zpsyzkvqkuv.jpg20150926_103638_zpsouvapnui.jpg

Just now, lancetkenyon said:

Last one I saw was a few years ago in 7W too.  Little bitty guy.

20150926_103638_zpsouvapnui.jpg

Yep, the 2 I seen were little as well. One was up close and personal as I was lying on the ground, it moved right in front of my face and gave me a bit of a jump start.

• Like 1

We get them in the yard quite a bit. Problem is, we have feral cats around that pretty much decimate them. Sad because they're one of my favorite little critters to have around. Same thing for little baby bunnies -  we always have a bunch hanging around in spring, but few make it very long. I used to name them, but don't anymore.

find the young guys five times more than the full size.  Thinking the roadrunners put a big damper in them.  

• Like 1

I always thought it was a myth that they shot blood from there eyes until one did in my hands, pretty cool!!!!

I see em all over. I look at the ground a lot tho for sheds and rattle snakes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

Tons at the top of Browns peak. (Four peaks)

Nose bleed territory, if you have the cajones to get up there.