Sign in to follow this  
MrBojangles

fletching vane noise

What is your go to archery vane that makes the least noise? trying to get my setup as quiet as possible and definitely think the hiss from blazers has effect on jumping the string. looking at q2i fusions and flex fletch sk 200s but open to other options.  figured there'd be no better place to ask than archery coues hunters. thx

I have had more noise from fixed broadhead. The one piece bhs always hummed down range on me. 

I always assumed they jumped the string due to the bow noise not the arrow. But following g this topic

I went to a lower profile Heat vane last year. Definitely helped on the sound but I felt like the blazer helped maintain better arrow flight. Heat vanes might've done better had I tried a 4 fletch, but I shoot a whisker bisquit so that would have been a pain.

But as you have pointed out, I also think it is the arrow noise that causes the deer to jump. The snap of the bow gets the deer's attention but the hissing of an arrow makes them go ninja.

• Like 1

I use a helical and a tall blazer style. It sounds like a flock of quail going down the lane

Loud , yes. But flies straight even in wind. Doesn't matter what head I put on it either.

I have never seen an animal jump or move because of the sound of my arrow though. Maybe I wouldn't miss as much if they did move just a little...

• Haha 1

If you ever want to test some different vanes, go sit a water hole and fling em at yotes. Those suckers are always long gone before my arrow gets there lmao, it's even worse when they're drinking

I've used this arrow setup for a quite a few seasons now and it's worked really well for me. It's quiet, bucks the crosswind as well as anything and have not had anything less than a pass through. 

Using 4mm shafts, expandable broad heads and 4 fletch, 1 degree offset AAE elite plastiflech - 16 vanes

Also believe that quieting your bow is just as important than quieting your arrow. I'm still searching for a dead silent quiver.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:10 AM, high rise hunter said:

I've used this arrow setup for a quite a few seasons now and it's worked really well for me. It's quiet, bucks the crosswind as well as anything and have not had anything less than a pass through. 

Using 4mm shafts, expandable broad heads and 4 fletch, 1 degree offset AAE elite plastiflech - 16 vanes

Also believe that quieting your bow is just as important than quieting your arrow. I'm still searching for a dead silent quiver.

completly agree about silencing the bow. curious what your broadhead and arrow weight of choice is for coues? are you of the school of thought heavier arrow= quieter bow? i went up to 495 from 420 but missed the flatter trajectory so i think I'm going to go back to around 420-450.  found sevrs to be pretty quiet

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrBojangles said:

completly agree about silencing the bow. curious what your broadhead and arrow weight of choice is for coues? are you of the school of thought heavier arrow= quieter bow? i went up to 495 from 420 but missed the flatter trajectory so i think I'm going to go back to around 420-450.  found sevrs to be pretty quiet

I do subscribe to the school of thought that heavier arrow = quieter bow but I don't walk the talk. I've messed around with arrow weight quite a bit and found if that if I can get my arrow in that 415-420 grain range that's the best combination of trajectory and penetration for my set up (70lbs, 27" draw). I find heavy arrows really start to fall out the sky at 60+ yards and I don't see the additional weight any more advantageous in terms of getting a pass through. Also a big fan of the increased speed to get my arrow to target quicker. Flatter trajectory is also a more forgiving at longer yardages; say I range a deer at 55, dial my sight, he steps to 57, yet I still shoot for 55. My arrow will still hits home. 

I shoot Rage but haven't messed around with any other expendables so nothing to elaborate on there. Sort of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation.

• Like 1