Sign in to follow this  
Steve6060al

Unit 12?

Have lived in AZ for a bit, and just want to hunt as much as I can.  Looks like Unit 12 is an option for better odds at an archery (and I guess rifle) antelope tag.  Low tag numbers, and low antelope numbers.  I guess my question is is it worth it to put in for that hunt moving from 5 to say 10 points, or would I be disappointed if I drew?  Just stick it out?  Interested to hear if any of you guys who have hunted antelope multiple times have ever given 12 a shot and was it worth it?  (Put in for other archery hunts this year but no dice).

I have seen pronghorn in 12b.  Not often though.  But, I don't get to 12b often either.  Worth a shot for 5 BPs.

I am sitting on 27 now.  So even if you burn 5 BPs, beats waiting another 20 years.

If you're looking for opportunity try it. Archery only gets 50 apps each year. But it only has that few applying for a reason so keep that in mind. If you're a nonres then to draw the archery tag you need max points I believe because there is just 3 permits. Lots of country for them to live in up there. Never seen any there but I never really tried to find them either

But if you're gonna wait super long for a tag. Max your chances at a harvest with going for a rifle tag. Cant imagine putting in for 15 plus years and not being able to fill my tag because it was just out of your bows limited range

• Like 1

I have killed 2 antelope with a bow.  18 yards and 50 yards.  Getting close to antelope is not as hard as people think with a bow.  Getting the shot off in time is difficult.  Fast mofos. 
Finding scrapes and fence line crossings is key.  When a buck chases off another buck can be successful too.  He will come back to his does on a string.  Just get in position.
Draw a tag and make the best of it.  

17 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

If you're looking for opportunity try it. Archery only gets 50 apps each year. But it only has that few applying for a reason so keep that in mind. If you're a nonres then to draw the archery tag you need max points I believe because there is just 3 permits. Lots of country for them to live in up there. Never seen any there but I never really tried to find them either

But if you're gonna wait super long for a tag. Max your chances at a harvest with going for a rifle tag. Cant imagine putting in for 15 plus years and not being able to fill my tag because it was just out of your bows limited range

Yeah, that was my thoughts for the points range I'd consider putting in for 12 at.  Over 10 I'd probably just keep going and hope to get lucky.  At 6-8 maybe I draw/maybe I don't, but if I do I get a taste of it and it might alter my path forward after that.  That being the case, I would hate to blow the points for an opportunity and not see a thing.

With so few tags I sure have a lot less folks to ask who may have hunted them there.  Tags have to mean antelope though, might just have to make a Lees Ferry trip in the next year and glass around for a day in the valley,  

2 hours ago, Steve6060al said:

Yeah, that was my thoughts for the points range I'd consider putting in for 12 at.  Over 10 I'd probably just keep going and hope to get lucky.  At 6-8 maybe I draw/maybe I don't, but if I do I get a taste of it and it might alter my path forward after that.  That being the case, I would hate to blow the points for an opportunity and not see a thing.

With so few tags I sure have a lot less folks to ask who may have hunted them there.  Tags have to mean antelope though, might just have to make a Lees Ferry trip in the next year and glass around for a day in the valley,  

I honestly am doing the same as you. I am going against my own advice and putting in for it. I am only 19 so I still have so much more time to get another few hunts in. If you're young then go for it. But if you're mid aged, then I would search for rifle. You dont know if that'll be your last hunt if you're a bit older! Just gotta time it all right and have some luck!