257 STW

6.5 prc seating 156 eol problem

I switched to Redding dies for my PRC using the VLD seating stem and I get the rings you’re describing on my 156s as well. I remember reading something about the rings on Redding’s website and the takeaway was it’s not hurting the bullets and won’t negatively impact accuracy. As long as you’re not actually gouging the bullet or anything crazy like that, let them fly. Those bullets are perfect for the PRC.  
I also completely disagree that Hornady is the only option for dies when it comes to the 6.5 PRC, or any other cartridge for that matter. As long as you have a quality set you’re good to go. Redding, RCBS, Hornady, whatever.

19 minutes ago, broadhead said:

I also completely disagree that Hornady is the only option for dies when it comes to the 6.5 PRC, or any other cartridge for that matter. As long as you have a quality set you’re good to go. Redding, RCBS, Hornady, whatever.

Unless you know of someplace that's selling those other dies and doesn't want an arm and a leg for them right now let me know.

Oh cmon. I sold my other dies and sacrificed eating out a few times for a couple months to cover the remaining $150 for the Redding Type S set. We’re talking about reloading dies, not a Porsche. Seriously. 

10 minutes ago, broadhead said:

Oh cmon. I sold my other dies and sacrificed eating out a few times for a couple months to cover the remaining $150 for the Redding Type S set. We’re talking about reloading dies, not a Porsche. Seriously. 

And when did you get those dies? Can you buy them right now? I ordered a set of Hornady dies 2 days ago from Midway. Seriously.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:47 PM, 257 STW said:

I have Hornaday dyes and trying to seat the 156 eol with out damage its not working is there a different seating stem i should be using or a different dyes? Hornaday was no help they told me there dyes are for there bullets only they don't  give information for other brands. 

That ring around the bullet may be due to excess seating pressure. I don't think it has anything to do with your seating die or stem. What's going on is your sizing die is over sizing the neck. Two ways to remedy this is go to a bushing die or neck turn the brass. Also possible is those bullets are very long and it could be you're jammed against the powder charge and there's no room to seat any further. Like mentioned before you can easily take the stem out and make an epoxy mold in that seating stem for just that bullet. A little heat can melt that epoxy if you make a mistake. I've never been a fan of standard dies. A bushing full length die is what I use and a Wilson in line seating die for benchrest or hunting rifles. Been doing that for over 40 years. But then again these are difficult times.

Very good points above about neck tension. Don’t worry if your bullets seat smoothly but you still get them though. Mine seat pretty easily using a bushing die with .002 neck tension but I still get them and there is absolutely no effect on accuracy. Your dies should be fine. Other factors like consistent brass prep, annealing, etc will play a bigger part in accuracy than that ring ever will, and even at that you probably won’t notice a difference until you start stretching it out. Post a couple pics of you’re still unsure.