Sign in to follow this  
Redbeard

I'm out

Jeffcros,

Radios are a huge advantage.I have guided people in to animals from two miles away on a flat.The hunter has a orange hat and he can not even see the person behind the 15 powers.I could care less about the record books.Everybody has there own set of ethics.I do not like the chute planes because 90% of the fun for me is finding the animal with my binos.But for the people that do it,I have no problem as long as it is before the season.

Noel

I really don't care about the radios, I use them. As far as how he does it he hires guides to find the deer for him!! I don't think that should bother to many people on this site, we have a bunch of guides on here and nobody knocks them for making a living guiding hunters.

As for the record books, my guess is that if he wants to keep his sponsers happy, he needs them to go into the books!!

The can shoot and stalk I don't think anyone can question that

REDDOG

Redbeard,

I will not shoot a animal unless I eat it.I do not care about entering animals in the record book.I have only entered one bear when I was fifteen years old.Since then I have shot animals that would make the record book under fair chase,but have not.Most of the rules of fair chase I would agree with,except to say that baiting animals is fair chase and useing radios is not.I can not agree with that statement.And to say that people who could care less about the record book and then talk about animals scores are hipracrites.I think you are missing our point.We do not care about entering our animals in the book,but we use the score as a reference to how big the animal is.And yes we all have egos and want to shoot the biggest animal we can.

Noel

I hear hunters all the time say, "Record books and scores don't mean anything to me." Or "Record books have ruined hunting." or "Peoples egos are too wrapped up in scores." And other such nonsense. There are a few of us (not me) that truly don't care how big an animal they harvest or if they get one at all but the rest of us, all of us, have our egos wrapped up in hunting to some degree or we wouldn't hunt bulls and bucks or bowhunt or hunt at all. We don't hunt for the meat we hunt for the challenge and the thrill and in the end we are proud of our successes. And most guys will compare the size of their animal using a score.

If you think scores and record books don't matter then DON'T use scores to talk about how big your buck or bull was. If you do you are being a first class hypocrite.

dang good post, Redbeard..

It seems as of late, that on all these hunting boards, if you are deemed a "trophy hunter", you are the devil himself and not worthy to hang with all the holier than thou meat and campfire hunters.. If you are looking for the best head you can find and will pass alot of animals or go home empty handed, you are not a "real" hunter at all.. And yet I look around and all everybody talks about is how big this and that was/is and what that buck/bull scores.. Look around, the WHOLE hunting industry is geared towards trophy hunting in general. Ever watch any hunting videos? They don't make too many DOE STALKER 5" A MUST HAVE DVD FOR YOUR HUNTING VIDEO COLLECTION"!!! GET YOUR'S TODAY!! Yeah right!

When did it become so unspeakable to be a TROPHY HUNTER? It seems that if you hunt super hard and use the best equipment and are putting in your time to shoot a big buck/bull/ when did that become such a bad thing??

I guess I don't know where I'm going with this rant, but I guess if being a trophy hunter is bad, well then, I'm just a bad person. I hunt for trophies. There I said it. I like the challange of the hunt, being out there knowing that I'm not going to shoot unless he's a true trophy specimen, etc.. The camping at night, etc are all part of it too, but make no mistake, I'm not going to go hunting just for the expierience of sitting around a campfire and BSing with the boys or family.. I'll go hiking and camping off season to get that feeling. Lots less gear I have to pack around too! I'm not hunting for meat either.. Most trophy game (as in mature males of the species you are hunting) taste like a sack full of a$$. I have ZERO interest in eating 100lbs of that.. I usually will find a food bank, or a needy family to give the meat to. Doing that puts my mind at ease knowing that the meat will be put to use by folks who genuienly need it. Should I want to eat venison, I usually will shoot an axis deer doe back in TX and have it processed. I make enough money that I can go to the market and buy beef. Last I checked, it wasn't a crime to like beef more than venison, even though you wouldn't know it on these hunting boards.

When I'm big game hunting, I'm TROPHY HUNTING. Is there anybody else out there or am I the only one willing to stand up and come out and say it to the rest of the hunting community?

And just for clarification, I am not talking about when you take a child hunting.. In those cases, a doe/spike etc. could be the most exciting "trophy" hunt that child has ever been on and there is NOTHING wrong with that at all!!!

I cant wait to take my little daughter out on her 1st deer hunt when she's old enough!! I'm willing to bet her first deer will be an old TX doe or a yearling spiker!!

I'm with you Scotty. I don't spend thousands of dollars and use my limited time off to fill the freezer. I do eat the meat and give excess meat away to family and friends. I am not really sure where I stand on record books but I know you have to have a standard for comparison. If I say I saw a big buck to another hunter his idea of a big buck might be different then mine.

Go out, be safe, and have some fun. We all have different reasons for what we do but we all are hunters.

Keven

SEE!! this why exacally why I didnt post the pictures of the monster (150" B&C) arizona coues buck I killed with my bow last week...I didnt want everybody judging me and telling me I was doing something wrong...

I once open-mouthed kissed a horse!

Okay,

I got to ask. How do we know that there are radios involved with his bowhunting? I did read an interview about the chute plane being used in a Arizona strip Riflehunt, which he was bowhunting; but everytime? Paying people to find the deer? Where did this stuff come from?

I have never met the guy, but have always like reading what he writes. The story he wrote about the big velvet mulie a couple years ago is one of my favorites and I reread often. I wish I had that kind of patience when it comes to my bowhunts.

As far as record books go, Chuck Adams was pressured into entering his animals and then They didn't believe him. So who cares?

Dr. Randy Ulmer probally puts more effort and time into hunting then most of us. He is probally a better shot and probally has more experience than most of us. Thirty years I believe I read somewhere.

These add up to big deer.

Brent

Well dang! :blink: I guess I will leave my sentlock, GPS, range finder, treestand, trail cams, binos, tri pod, RADIOS, rifle, game calls, decoys and truck all at home on feature hunts. I wouldn’t want to be unethical by any means. <_< When I’m standing at the pearly gates I want in! :rolleyes:

I guess I just use a loin cloth and my hickory bow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Loin Cloth????? thats a bit much... how about el o'natural! you know your hair will be your camo..

Just walk up and punch the animal in the snout. Thats how god did it.

or aim for a hoof.... I once heard there is a main artery somewhere in the hoof. ....

Well dang! :blink: I guess I will leave my sentlock, GPS, range finder, treestand, trail cams, binos, tri pod, RADIOS, rifle, game calls, decoys and truck all at home on feature hunts. I wouldn’t want to be unethical by any means. <_< When I’m standing at the pearly gates I want in! :rolleyes:

I guess I just use a loin cloth and my hickory bow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Funny how my post got called out by what? 3? 4 people? Because I actually have enough respect for the animal that IF I was to kill a toad, I'd put it in the books? I could care less about ego and the books. Sure, I want to kill a big ole buck that will make the book, but it has nothing to do with "my buck is bigger than yours." I couldnt care less how big or small some one elses deer is. If you are happy with it, who gives a rats butt what it score. Why do you think I have killed a spike, fork, (2) small 3x2's and posted pictures smiling?

Maybe I am the only one on here who actually has respect for the animal I hunt. Por ejemplo... Shooting my buck in December in the head... Didnt want the deer to suffer all though he was dead deer walking.

Redbeard, I'm really having a difficult time with the bolded statement. I completley disagree! It is not ok to judge other people based on your own ethics. To "judge" someone based on there moral or ethical views is arrogance.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and if your way is a little different than mine...I'm ok with that!

I completely agree! Although I don't use radios, I don't see anything wrong with it. You obviously do see something wrong with it but that doesn't mean that I am going to judge you for having different thoughts on the matter. There needs to be different opinions and feelings to keeps things stable and balanced.

-Tracy