Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

A tips on game

Components are currently tough to find as we all know, but it seems that .264 135 grain and 153 grain A-TIPS are available if you look hard enough, likely due to how expensive they are. Has anybody used them on game? If so, what were the results? 

I’ve been curious about this question myself. I don’t think I would hesitate to use them though, based on what I’ve seen with videos of gel tests and a video of an antelope hunt that Gunwerks posted on YouTube. The guy on the video shot a goat at just under 700 and looks like  the bullet expanded really well. I would love to try them, but dang they are pricey. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CraigK said:

I’ve been curious about this question myself. I don’t think I would hesitate to use them though, based on what I’ve seen with videos of gel tests and a video of an antelope hunt that Gunwerks posted on YouTube. The guy on the video shot a goat at just under 700 and looks like  the bullet expanded really well. I would love to try them, but dang they are pricey. 

Yeah I probably wouldn't stick with them once everything became available again but they are literally just about the only thing you can find. 

I hear ya. Times are definitely tough in the shooters world. I have enough supplies for this year, but definitely will think twice about going out and shooting for fun. What do you normally shoot? I can keep an eye out for you.

• Like 1

Just now, CraigK said:

I hear ya. Times are definitely tough in the shooters world. I have enough supplies for this year, but definitely will think twice about going out and shooting for fun. What do you normally shoot? I can keep an eye out for you.

I just got the 6.5 prc. I'd like to develop a load with the 147's and possibly the 130 scirocco 2's. I currently have factory precision hunters, but unfortunately the gun only shoots them OK, and not as well as I'd like. So now in stuck trying to decide if I need to hold on to the remaining precision hunters I have, or shoot them so I have some brass to work with. No need for brass if I have no projectiles.  I developed a decent load with the 127 lrx's with some brass that a friend gave me but I don't trust them on game at extended ranges. I'm not opposed to other bullets like the bergers but i trust traditional cup and cores a little more than the bergers for some reason.  

Just now, creed_az_88 said:

I just got the 6.5 prc. I'd like to develop a load with the 147's and possibly the 130 scirocco 2's. I currently have factory precision hunters, but unfortunately the gun only shoots them OK, and not as well as I'd like. So now in stuck trying to decide if I need to hold on to the remaining precision hunters I have, or shoot them so I have some brass to work with. No need for brass if I have no projectiles.  I developed a decent load with the 127 lrx's with some brass that a friend gave me but I don't trust them on game at extended ranges. I'm not opposed to other bullets like the bergers but i trust traditional cup and cores a little more than the bergers for some reason.  

Wife will be using the gun for elk in the winter so I wouldn't be opposed to traditional accubonds or even partitions if that's all I could find. 

Congrats on the wife getting an elk tag, that’s awesome! If I’m able to come across something I’ll let you know. 

3 minutes ago, CraigK said:

Congrats on the wife getting an elk tag, that’s awesome! If I’m able to come across something I’ll let you know. 

Thank you!

• Like 1