MrMogollon

SC Gobbler in the Snow – LONG VERSION

21 hours ago, ruthunter said:

We killed (3) out of 4 tags last weekend on the first hunt up there. 

Nice work. Were they responding to calls/working the decoys? We had a pretty tough time finding responsive birds and didn't hear much gobbling at all, even from the roost.

I ended up getting lucky on Sunday, but that was about all of the notable action we had in our group.

8 minutes ago, MrMogollon said:

Nice work. Were they responding to calls/working the decoys? We had a pretty tough time finding responsive birds and didn't hear much gobbling at all, even from the roost.

I ended up getting lucky on Sunday, but that was about all of the notable action we had in our group.

Conditions were tough for sure. Very limited calling by the birds. Did get some birds to talk in the roost at night which lead to 2 of our birds getting killed by being in the area at first light. The Tom I killed was spot n stalk as I saw a bunch of turkeys working the edge of a tree line along a meadow. I was able to walk the edge of the tree line and stalk to within 50yds of 20hens and (3) Toms. Tough hunt for sure. Congrats on the success.

• Like 2

After catching the turkey bug last year, I was fortunate enough to get invited to hunt Easterns in Georgia this spring, and I jumped at the opportunity! Flight was booked within the hour.

I left AZ last Thursday and was in the turkey woods Friday morning. Through a family connection we were able to gain access to some private ground, 40 minutes outside of Atlanta. The property was well manicured as you can see from the pictures and from what I could tell, the prescribed burning they had done in recent years created some excellent turkey habitat.

On the first morning, the gobbles from the roost started pretty late, but after chasing a vocal bird for the first hour of daylight with nothing to show for it, we decided to cruise around the property on foot and try to get some other birds talking. We checked two different spots that seemed promising with no response and headed to a field that we had scouted the night before. We let out the first calling sequence, immediately heard a gobble from deep in the woods and we headed off in that direction to close the distance.

We set up about 75 yards into the timber and after some considerable back and forth calling, the gobbles didn't seem to be getting any close. So we decided to close the distance even further. As we are slowing picking our way through the hardwood bottom, we see some movement about 80 yards ahead of us and drop to the deck. Two hens, scratching and bugging. They come within 40 yards of us, and then slowly make their way back out of range. We take the opportunity to give up our prone positions and sit up against the closest tree. After a few soft yelps we had the big tom screaming again and can tell we are within shooting range (or close to), but still have no sight of him.

We gave him the silent treatment for a few minutes and out of nowhere, he pops out in front of us at 40 yards - strutting in the only good shooting lane I have. My buddy let out a few soft yelps, hoping for him to pop out of strut and gobble - BOOM. Bird down.

My brother was able to tag out in Georgia the next day on a nice bird as well, and we spent the rest of the weekend fishing for bass and enjoying the weather. An epic weekend of turkey hunting, in some new habitat and it was a trip that I will not soon forget. As you may be able to tell, the bug bit me BAD and I'm hoping to get the chance to hunt turkeys in some new places again next year.

• Merriam's 
  • Eastern 

Georgia1.jpg

Georgia3.jpg

Georgia4.jpg

Georgia2.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Little Creek Calls said:

What up next Rio's or Osceola's?

Hoping to hunt Rio's next year! Was on the hunt with my brother when he took his Rio in 2021, but I still need to get redemption in Texas. Then Osceola's!

I've been putting in for points here in AZ for some years now, and will hopefully get lucky at some point on Gould's!