huntlines

Hunt proposal, more limited archery units

Looks like there will be more units a draw only for archery deer. I feel this is the “new normal” for archery hunting in Az. Won’t be long before all archery hunts will be draw only. 

746CC472-3F2C-4419-811F-EA026EC82E3F.png

Sad to see but they have to do something. I’d like to see them keep coues as otc but limit mule deer in some units

• Like 9

That many closures have the potential to really clog things up, especially with the suggested non-resident trend. I would like to see something for OTC/NR change.

• Like 4

On the general hunt draw tag changes how can the decrease be more than the current? Like 33 early hunt lists 200 and -225 change? Typo? Big changes in 33 it seems...might be a good thing though. 

I only see 2 new hunts recommended under archery draw...lots of recommended closures and changes to whitetail only in the OTC. 

8 minutes ago, bigorange said:

On the general hunt draw tag changes how can the decrease be more than the current? Like 33 early hunt lists 200 and -225 change? Typo? Big changes in 33 it seems...might be a good thing though. 

Nevermind I was reading it wrong. That’s 200 tags which is a 225 decrease from last year. Makes sense now. 

4 minutes ago, 68OLDS said:

Sorry looks like we had 3 postings at the same time on this topic.

Think we all got the information about the same time.😁

1 minute ago, huntlines said:

Think we all got the information about the same time.😁

Haha yes my little bro texted me the picture of the regulation proposals.  they announced this on the 18th.  A little late to the game as usual.  Are you planning on commenting at all?  I see you positing on here a lot so figured you would voice any concerns to them.

Glad to see, with no rain and more hunters I am glad to see it. Just hope they would put a mandatory report like new mexico so they can track the harvested animals.

31 minutes ago, Wnn135 said:

Glad to see, with no rain and more hunters I am glad to see it. Just hope they would put a mandatory report like new mexico so they can track the harvested animals.

Mandatory harvest reporting seems like such a no-brainer to me. I can't understand how this isn't being done. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

Exactly, what are they doing in 33?  I'm happy to see tag reduction but that's pretty aggressive. Curious to see how this goes. 

I hate to say it but AZ offers too many OTC opportunities for NR's considering we have such a limited resource.  We aren't like colorado with a ton of animals or wyoming that only has about 700k residents in the entire state.  AZ has a booming population and a very limited resource.  

All these outdoor shows like Meat Eater don't help either.  Where else can you go and have great weather, a ton of public land and buy a deer tag over the counter?  I believe NR's are more dedicated hunters anyway.  When they travel from out of state they are "locked in" and focused on killing an animal.  They are more likely to hire a guide as well.  Many resident hunters tend to be very nonchalant about it because they think they can do it anytime.    I have no stats to support it but I would say if you took 100 nr bow hunters and 100 resident bow hunters hunting deer the NR's kill more.

The bad thing about bow hunts going to a draw is that it will make hunters choose a weapon type.  Face it, killing an animal with a gun is easier than with archery equipment.  I'm afraid people will end up giving up archery if they are forced to choose.  This will not be good for the local archery shops and archery sales in general.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 68OLDS said:

Haha yes my little bro texted me the picture of the regulation proposals.  they announced this on the 18th.  A little late to the game as usual.  Are you planning on commenting at all?  I see you positing on here a lot so figured you would voice any concerns to them.

I’m planning on commenting and have made my voice heard about several issues during calls to the public.

im just torn on this issue, don’t know how to feel about it.

I am somewhat glad and encouraged by this change. I would not be upset if they made the entire state a draw for archery deer. Would be like a choose your weapon for your deer hunt. I’m an archery hunter and think this would greatly limit the amount of quasi archery hunters. People who wouldn’t normally archery hunt would put in for rifle hunts. Less people in the field during archery season.

I also like to put in for quality, hard to draw rifle tags and when I don’t get drawn I fall back to my true passion of archery hunting.

So yes, I will be commenting but still trying to decide what I want to say.

• Like 3