huntlines

Hunt proposal, more limited archery units

3 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Counting "more animals" is completely missing the point..

And FWIW, I usually go to the highest point possible when glassing for animals.  Where do you typically sit with your 18/56's?

???? Missing what point? So glassing more does with fawns is missing what point? Have you ever flown an area looking for animals? You have to fly low enough to see them, animals don’t like noise just FYI. They will typically run and usually towards cover, making it hard to get accurate counts. No matter what type of aircraft you use, you are constantly moving making it difficult to view. I don’t know why I even have to explain this.....

Yes, of course I find high points to glass from but it doesn’t have to be a thousand feet above. It doesn’t take much in elevation to get a good vantage point.

12 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

From 2010, by Amanda

Phew!!!! My numbers were right... lol. I was going by memory and I was REALLY worried I wasn't remembering correctly.  Thanks for posting this!!!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

From 2010, by Amanda

Outstanding “cliff notes” version on some of the science behind wildlife management techniques employed by azgfd.  Thanks for digging this up.  Explains quite a bit on a subject that could take volumes in a text book.

1 hour ago, huntlines said:

You have to fly low enough to see them......

Looks like G&F agrees with you. One of the many times I have seen them flying.... below me... And yes I confirmed it was G&F.. They own the plane. (Or at least did)   

2012 G&F.jpg

• Wow! 1

44 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

From 2010, by Amanda

Great information and the science is solid. My only disagreement is with the how. I know the helo is the easiest way to get this data but I argue not the best. Give me five people with good optics spread out over the same area and I’d bet we would get better data. I also would argue it would be cheaper.

Im not arguing just putting it out there. I’d like to see it tried and compare data to see which is better. Maybe the flying is better but I’d like to see it compared.

1 hour ago, huntlines said:

Great information and the science is solid. My only disagreement is with the how. I know the helo is the easiest way to get this data but I argue not the best. Give me five people with good optics spread out over the same area and I’d bet we would get better data. I also would argue it would be cheaper.

Im not arguing just putting it out there. I’d like to see it tried and compare data to see which is better. Maybe the flying is better but I’d like to see it compared.

If you think that glassing allows you to see more animals in a morning or evening of looking you haven’t spent much time in a plane.   You can cover infinitely more ground with a plane.  No you aren’t going to see every animal, but that is accounted for when they run the numbers.  Also if you think your ARE seeing every animal when you are glassing you haven’t glassed very much.  

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

If you think that glassing allows you to see more animals in a morning or evening of looking you haven’t spent much time in a plane.   You can cover infinitely more ground with a plane.  No you aren’t going to see every animal, but that is accounted for when they run the numbers.  Also if you think your ARE seeing every animal when you are glassing you haven’t glassed very much.  

Done both. Granted I’ve spent countless hours behind glass and very little in the air. What little time I have done it in the air, I wasn’t impressed. 

Never said I feel like I’ve seen every animal while glassing but I’m always surprised by the amount I do see. 

3 hours ago, huntlines said:

The glassing method does work because it's been done. I remember running into a couple game and fish guys on quads about 18 years ago in unit 21. That's exactly what they were doing. I would bet they still do it that way from time to time... but I can't say for sure. Which one is better? No clue. I bet I know which one is easier though... lol

• Like 1