Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Oh dang my brisket is done

Ok I’m sure there’s some bbq/smoker pros on the sight. I’ve smoked plenty of briskets before and I know they can have a mind of their own as to how long they take to cook.  Smoker set at 250. Trimmed and rubbed at 10pm On the smoker at 11pm for a 12-13 hr cook.2 hrs rest and burnt end cook  12lb brisket.  Woke up at 5:30 fingered it be at the 165 stall.  Nope done 203. PerfectLy done.  Easter meal is set at 2:00.  I have it wrapped in butcher paper and n the yeti.   Well no chance for burnt ends. 

how can I reheat it?  How long can I hold it?  HELP

• Like 1

Wrap some towels around it and it should be still hot at 2.

I have 3 pork butts on my smoker now. They should be done at 2pm (24hrs smoke time). I'll wrap them in foil and towels and into the ice chest. Dinner at 6 or 7pm and they will be hot.

20210404_084807~2.jpg

• Like 3

Yes it’s in a towel and in the cooler. But I’m concerned about it spoiling sitting at this temp 7-8hrs.   dang briskets 

I generally do a good trim on the fat then rub it. Put it in at 225 degrees until it hits 150-155 temp. Pull it wrap it and put it back in at 225 degrees until it hits 190. Pull it, unwrapped it put it back it in at 275 degrees until it hits 198. Pull it, wrap it with foil and then with a towel, set it in a cooler for at least 2 hours up to 8 hours. When in cooler temp on meat will rise to 203-205 degrees. 
I smoke the point and flat together, separate them when done and cut against the grain. 

Did you wrap it at 165 and then let it rise to 190-203? 

22E02447-F371-48FD-A688-5D86DD658568.jpeg

75F2B0EF-870A-4B3B-83B4-A85A0C54FFCE.jpeg

A13AB375-C0E6-48F0-A5BD-D163BB57C2A4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Next time try smoking at a lower temp, like 160.  I had a 12 lb er, smoked for 12 hours, finished it at 250 in about 6 hour to 185 . Nice thing with briskets is you really can’t over cook them , the longer they cook, the tenderer they get.

• Like 1

I pre heat a cooler with hot water then put the meat in. It will rest for as long as your what like that 

• Like 3

I did a underground pit turkey for thanksgiving in 2020. Pulled her out of the pit at 7:00 am and tossed it in the yeti. was still very hot by 1:00 pm. pulled apart like butter. 

• Like 1

It will be fine leave it in the cooler it will still be hot 

Mine took 8 hours yesterday at 225*.  5 hours on the grill,  3 hours wrapped on the grill. Pulled it at 198* wrapped it in towels and put it in the cooler.  Ate 2 hours later and it was still too hot to touch when slicing.  

8 hours sounds like too long to me but I've never attempted it, do im not sure.  Maybe shred it or chop it and do sandwiches with it. 

• Like 1

I just temp probed it at 155.  I think it will make it to 2.  Pulled a coupe tri tips as a back up.  

yes I normally wrap at 165. But my bad I didn’t put a temp probe in when I went to bed. Figured smoked for 6 hrs I’d be ready to wrap at 5am.  Nope    

im thinking chopped sammies too.  Nope I don’t get the fam sick on Easter 

Your brisket isn’t like mayo that’s been left in the sun for 5 hrs. You won’t get sick eating it. Don’t overthink it. Slice it up at 2:00 and enjoy it. Just don’t open the cooler every 30 min checking on it. leave it closed until you pull it or you’ll lose all the heat. 

Thanks for all the comments. Appreciate the help.  

1 hour ago, apache12 said:

Yes it’s in a towel and in the cooler. But I’m concerned about it spoiling sitting at this temp 7-8hrs.   dang briskets 

just make sure when you eat is in the safe zone around 140