Sign in to follow this  
knothead

spring turkey 2021 status?

Anyone been out listening for birds recently?  Are they talking much?  I plan on going out this weekend and practice my calling and try locating some new spots.  Good Luck to everyone that has a tag this year.

• Like 1

Was in 3a3c Friday checking out new areas and threw out some hen calls and no gobble but got a hen to respond and she brought in the whole flock with three toms. I would take that as they are just getting ready to break away and start seeing some solo birds.

• Like 3

Nothing in unit 1 yet. Been scouting for the youth hunt. 

They will be there . Remember be patient when Turkey hunting. They are around just sometimes quiet .............BOB!

I spent Friday in 3C scouting for my 10 year old's first turkey hunt.  Out there well before sunup.  I heard absolutely nothing.  Started walking two trackers and found a few tracks here and there.   I moved about 15 miles and started seeing tracks in the mud around pretty much every dirt tank--never flocks, just one or two sets of tracks.  It looked like they were circling the tanks feeding.  I was never able to find a roost tree.

The wind picked up in the late afternoon and I decided to head for home.  I was pleased that I found at least some sign, though I would have liked to have seen more.  I'm going to try to get up there Thursday afternoon and hopefully get something roosted at sundown.  Right now the forecast calls for wind Thursday evening, so I'm hoping the weatherman is wrong.

• Like 1

I saw a gobbler fanning out with two hens a couple days before the junior season started. In another unit I went to I called but didnt hear any. It was kind of windy when I called so that didn't help.

Wind was rough all weekend in 23. We got on one vocal Tom but couldn’t get him away from his hens to come into range. Most people we talked to were having a similar experience. One family did manage to road bomb one in canyon creek.

Congrats flatlander!! Heard that area was hot for birds. We had a few gobbling Friday AM in 23 as well but couldn’t close the deal. The wind definitely put a damper on it.

Unit 1 was definitely tough, birds would gobble in the morning until they hit the ground then went silent. Talked to a warden and he said the drought has taken a toll on the birds. We had a few responses while birds were in the roost. We hunted hard and in 2 days we did not see a hen. Nuts

was up in 27 this weekend. they were pretty vocal friday but absolutely shut down on Saturday. they were talking some on sunday. the storm that rolled in really screwed them up. should have still killed a couple but it is hard to make the stars align with 10 year olds. still saw probably 20 toms though. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

was up in 27 this weekend. they were pretty vocal friday but absolutely shut down on Saturday. they were talking some on sunday. the storm that rolled in really screwed them up. should have still killed a couple but it is hard to make the stars align with 10 year olds. still saw probably 20 toms though. 

Better than us. We saw 3 toms and 2 hens off the road. Had a few gobbling on Sat-Sun but not responsive and on the move. Adding 3 kids to the mix does make things a little more difficult. LoL

I could say we were very fortunate to tag out both tags in camp on some solid birds. They seemed to be very finicky this year and we actually didn’t start hearing any calls until 9am or the last 10 minutes of light. 

821CBC7E-DA63-4A53-B27C-51E7737D72B9.jpeg

CA4B0B92-4B92-40BD-B3CE-E16B6033E795.jpeg

43EC556D-7150-42D9-892C-8CCC9C2B9A3D.jpeg

• Like 11

Nice job on the two birds.

Turkey were active in Unit 1 on Friday, but tough and almost no vocalization on Sat. other than on the roost for a few minutes in the morning.  Cold mornings in the 20's make it tough to sit for any length of time with two kids.  The Toms we did see were strutting.  One was with four hens and another was with one hen.  It looks like they got several inches of snow on Sunday after we left, which is a good thing as it was super dry with many tanks empty.  Big Lake was as low as I have ever seen it.