That sign is just silly. I leave notes on my tree stands with my name and number and have had very good luck when hunters have called me. I've always had hunters call and ask what I'm hunting and when. Likewise I ask them and we work it out, instead of all showing up at the same time or trying to get there at midnight to beat the next guy. I've killed 2 coues bucks off of one stand that another hunter also killed a coues buck and a bull. This was with him sitting in the my treestand that I hung, he sent me pics on his phone and e-mail. It has worked out great, working together with this guy instead of against him in a race for the stand or spot.

I also ran into a guy and his wife they were setting up a treestand a couple tree's away from mine. I offered up my stand to save them the work and another stand in the area, they accepted and killed an elk the first day, got a thank you call from them(number and name on the stand).

I guess I'd rather talk with someone than have the rat race and get screwed with by someone during the hunt. I think elk season has to be the worst. I've seen some crazy things by some people I will leave unmentioned. If you have the chance to talk with someone that is hunting in the area you are hunting, take the opportunity and do so, and try and be honest just my opinion. I've had archery elk hunters park within 20 yards of my truck and see me standing at the front of my truck and just ignore me. Just get out get their stuff and take off after bugles. Needless to say makes for a tuff hunt and usually nobody gets an elk.

It's always worked out for me but I don't leave notes like that joker. He's looking for trouble.

I Have a question for all of you.What if you hang a store bought stand and you go to sit it and somebody is in it.I would tell the person he could sit the tank ,but I would be taking my property down. Also years ago I had a archery elk tag and had set up a store bought stand about three weeks before the season.Of course I walked around the entire tank to see if anybody else had set up.I get there the day before season and somebody has set up a ground blind.We were hunting a area with very few camps and that night a guy drives up to our camp and tells us he is going to sit that tank.It was very plain to see that he knew we had set up before him.He had a young boy with him and we told him to go for it.It was not worth making a big deal out of it.

as I understand it first come first serve is aplicable to treestands as well.

Now if you are going to "Remove Your stand" then he would be obliged to vacate it.

Now if you are going to "Remove Your stand" then he would be obliged to vacate it.

Or be removed/vacate rather quickly! :lol: :lol:

Or be removed/vacate rather quickly! :lol: :lol:

Ya that would be worth running my gut hook through MY tree stand straps! Or it would be a long jump to the ground with no steps LOL :lol: ! No he may get to sit it that day but he would have to find a new spot the next day because MY stand would not be there once he got out!

True story. . . one time I was archery hunting way up on the side of the peaks, near Flagstaff, and my buddy and me came upon a treestand over this old sheep hearders watering hole. I was like hey I have never been up in one of those things. . . so I climbed aboard.

We sat there like 4 minutes and this guys walks up to the tree, looks up and goes hi.

I say hi, is this your stand, he says yes, but you can sit there.

I'm like no way man I just was trying it out, I am climbing down right now.

He was like no no, you can sit there all you want, you got in it first.

He just left. . . so I cralwed down and walked away . . . I thought it was so wierd. He was so polite and he wanted me to keep sitting there ha.

I Have a question for all of you.What if you hang a store bought stand and you go to sit it and somebody is in it.I would tell the person he could sit the tank ,but I would be taking my property down. Also years ago I had a archery elk tag and had set up a store bought stand about three weeks before the season.Of course I walked around the entire tank to see if anybody else had set up.I get there the day before season and somebody has set up a ground blind.We were hunting a area with very few camps and that night a guy drives up to our camp and tells us he is going to sit that tank.It was very plain to see that he knew we had set up before him.He had a young boy with him and we told him to go for it.It was not worth making a big deal out of it.

Why would you take it down?? Why not let him sit it and tell him you were planning on sitting it the next day or whenever you were planning on.. Just because he got there first and sat your stand, it does not mean he screwed you.. For all you know he could have been watching that spot for some time and didn't end up putting "his stand" in the tree because one beat him to it. At that point, I think the first come first serve should be recognized... yes, believe me I would be frustrated about it but "it is what it is". If the spot is good, leave it up and work with him on it. If it's a plan B spot and you can't get over it then take it down--- it just seems to me it would be easier to work it out with whoever beat you there that day. Like you said, some things are not worth making a big deal over. Good luck this year though...

With all the polite cooperation expressed in the last few posts, makes you wonder why we are having such a discussion. These people 'must be gellin'.

I've helped people hunt, gone to 'plan B' (several times of late) and generally tried to get along but when its my turn I'll let you know. Of course it is the one butt-head that ruins the whole thing.

The regs state first come, simple if I get there first and there is a tree stand up or an empty blind of natural materials I will not get in the stand but I will set on the water hole, in the ground blind or one of my own. I was there first. simple

Sammacqan,

I guess the reason I would be upset that somebody was sitting in my store bought stand is because I would not in a thousand years ever do that to somebody.I totally aggree with the first come first serve on ground blinds or wood built tree stands.But it would take big huevos to sit in somebodys store bought.

Sammacqan,

I guess the reason I would be upset that somebody was sitting in my store bought stand is because I would not in a thousand years ever do that to somebody.I totally aggree with the first come first serve on ground blinds or wood built tree stands.But it would take big huevos to sit in somebodys store bought.

I agree with you, I would not sit in someone's store bought 'fresh stand', as long as it was hung up that season-- but what about the stands that people seem to leave up all year long?? I've seen a ton of those and I don't end up putting my stands up on those spots. On those spots with stands that have been hung for years and left there-- I do not hesitate to sit them... had the stand not taken a permanent presence-- I would have gladly hung my own.

Good luck this year!

I have seen the same tree stand in the same tree for over two years. I have never seen a man in it either during hunting season or outside hunting season. Makes you wonder.....

this reminds me of a time when i was deer hunting down south here. I had just walked into a new area i've never hunted before when i spotted a couple of other hunters on the other side of the cut i was in. I decided to be a nice guy a walked over there to talk to 1of them. after the usual plesantries and stories i asked him if he'd been hunting in here for very long and he replied that they had hunted there for the last 3 days without seeing a buck.well i started asking which canyons they had already been in so i wouldn't be hunting where they've already been.once i narrowed it down to the one spot where they hadn't been i made a beeline to that cut and promptly jumped 3 deer on the first hillside i came to with the biggest one being a nice 3 pointer. i sat down got a rest and let the air out of him at 350 yards.sometimes other hunters can be your biggest assett ;)

I have lived with in 3 miles of this little tank for dang near 30 years... I have no intention on hunting somewhere else because some dude wants to stake a claim..... I have no problem sharing or getting beat in there, but be pushed, I will not. ;) I have hunted shoulder to shoulder with friends and strangers.... and made friends of strangers in doing so.... however, it puts hair up on the back of my neck when someone tries to ride herd on a piece of country.... especially a piece of country in my back yard. ;) Good luck to all.... may your arrows be Bloody by noon on Friday!!!

And for the record..... we are not going to sit the tank with the sign on Friday.... but ol' HC might on Saturday... so I hope that feller huntin' that gound blind eats his Wheaties and packs a lunch..... he'll need both if plans to throw ol' Huntn coues a whoopin'!!! :lol: :lol:

Great thread guys!! Thanks for posting on it I have enjoyed reading it!!

yeah i think once he sees troy he will probably put his head back up his rear and just leave....i know i would....i mean the leavin part ;)