Sign in to follow this  
Delw

went out shed hunting with the kids

Daughter and one of Friends came to AZ from Camp Pendleton for some shed hunting and Easter. They got in 1:30 am sat morning, we left at around 9am looked for sheds tried to call in yotes then ate dinner in Williams and got back to PHX at 1:30 am just beat tired/ We towed her Jeep up north unhooked it and they took off looking for sheds. one guy was coming out of the area we were going. come to find out we both go to the exact same ridge, so we turned around and went elsewhere.

They hiked around the edge of Sycamore canyon both sides about , I went to call yotes, no luck for either of us, She didnt go home empty handed she found another cool skull, we have a huge collection of them that she finds all the time. didnt see one elk deer yote squirrel nothing. then we got into the snow and saw maybe 200-300 elk all laying in the snow drifts.

Lots of people Camping, looked like opening weekend of archery deer, some were shed hunting some were just enjoying a nice easter weekend. J.D Dam Was packed.

Had a good time as usual tiring as crap but well worth it, spending time with Her and she loves unit 8.

IMG_2210a.JPG

444.JPG

222.JPG

333.JPG

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Hard to tell how big the skull is.  What are you thinking?

Judging by the cookies in the background not very big. I was wondering the same thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Hard to tell how big the skull is.  What are you thinking?

I'm thinking 350" plus  ;)

Seriously I have no idea what it is. too big to be a fox, doesnt match any of my fox mounts. maybe a Javelina?

49 minutes ago, Delw said:

I'm thinking 350" plus  ;)

Seriously I have no idea what it is. too big to be a fox, doesnt match any of my fox mounts. maybe a Javelina?

Looks like a javelina to me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

That is some beautiful, rough looking country.

Yes it is, Claudias Favorite place in the State of Az. every time she comes back from base we go there even if its for half a day.

That pic was taken from sycamore canyon look out, during hunting season we hunt those canyons on the west side from JD Dam to that point and get a ride back to our truck. Lots of bear and coues in there as well as some big muleys and elk. couple of times we have started just south of elk tank and ended up at that point. long rough hike but quite fun even for an old guy like me.

this is another view of that area west about 10 miles as the crow flies, about 25 miles walking wise.

The 1st pic we actually hike down to the bottom from our camp which was about 5 miles, then came up the other side through the canyon behind her and up just before it got to cliffy. Lots of caves stuff down there as well as a few sheds. just dont be down there when the monsoon is going as its not fun no where to get HIGH fast.

61.jpg

43.jpg

• Like 4

That's awesome. I used to love to hike places like that when I was younger, mostly deep in Unit 29. I think I might go up to the Rim and park at the entrance to the 300 Road this weekend and hike into WCL for a couple of days.

Temps look to be not too bad.