Sign in to follow this  
Levisj

Need some info help on Unit 1 in AZ

Hi all,

I just got my antlerless tag in for Unit 1, 2B, 2C  in AZ. I do live in AZ but I don't know much about the are I was selected for. I wanted to bring my trailer up and dry camp for the week of the tags dates. Not sure where some good places are in the area to drop it.  Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. 

5 minutes ago, Levisj said:

Hi all,

I just got my antlerless tag in for Unit 1, 2B, 2C  in AZ. I do live in AZ but I don't know much about the are I was selected for. I wanted to bring my trailer up and dry camp for the week of the tags dates. Not sure where some good places are in the area to drop it and where I should be looking for a cow. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. 

Here you go. Lots of info.

UNIT 1

Elk

Overview: Unit 1 contains many opportunities for hunting elk. Archery bull and antlerless hunts, firearm bull and antlerless hunts, and Juniors-only antlerless hunts are all provided here.

Elk hunting in Unit 1 begins in August, with the last hunts ending in December. Elk distribution within the unit varies depending on the time of year and on the weather conditions. Elk can be found in both the high and low elevations. During drought years, elk tend to be concentrated in areas where there is water and green feed.

The 2011 Wallow Fire burned approximately 50% of Unit 1. The burn intensity varied within the fire perimeter. Elk have been seen utilizing forage in all burn intensity types within the burn area.

Special Considerations: Some of the hunts in Unit 1 are restricted to specific hunt areas. This is done to meet specific elk management objectives through concentrated harvest in these areas. Be aware of the hunt for which you have drawn a permit. The permit will have the hunt unit printed on it (e.g., Unit 1) along with the herd unit (e.g., Escudilla Hunt Area, Unit 1 East). If the hunt is unit-wide, it will only have the hunt unit (e.g., Unit 1). Additionally, some of the Unit 1 hunts also include Unit 2B and/or Unit 2C in the hunt area. Remember that hunting outside the hunt area boundary will result in a citation.

During certain hunts, biological check stations and Unit Watch camps may be up within the unit. The Unit Watch camp is a location where you can go to report a violation. Officers are generally on hand and can get information from you first hand. Please, if you find a possibly poached animal, get a good location and report it! Try not to disturb the site around the animal, as we need to collect evidence. Treat it as you would any other crime scene.

Biological check stations are conducted to collect data on sex, age, and condition of animals harvested. This information is used to determine the composition of the elk herd, and to make permit recommendations. Unless otherwise stated, bringing an animal to the check station is not mandatory, but is encouraged. If you bring in an animal, please bring it in field dressed, but otherwise whole. Additionally, for some of the bull hunts, we provide tooth envelopes and data sheets for measuring antlers. This information is used to continue providing quality bull elk hunting opportunities in Unit 1. Notification for biological check stations, Unit Watch camps, and other data collection is usually provided through a mail-out to successful permit applicants.

Elk distribution within Unit 1 is dependent on the season and the weather. Elk migrations from summer to winter range occur during the fall and winter, and can affect the hunts. Unit 1 hunting opportunity is designed to place the hunter in areas where elk can be found in regard to weather and migration patterns. The best time to scout for your hunt is one to two weeks prior to the opening of your season. Pre-hunt scouting in the high country in late September for an early December hunt would be fruitless because the elk will have moved out of those areas and onto the winter range at lower elevations.

Areas: Areas for hunting elk in Unit 1 vary according to the time period in which the hunt occurs. The following are suggested areas for the various hunts in the early, middle, and late seasons:

Early Season Hunts: These hunts occur during the month of September and the first part of October. They include the archery-only antlerless and bull hunts, the early firearms bull hunt, and the Juniors-only firearms antlerless hunt. The archery antlerless and bull hunts are run concurrently from about the middle of September to the first of October.

During this time period, elk are distributed throughout the unit. They are found at both low and high elevations. The bulls are starting to bugle, and will generally come to calls. Areas to hunt would include Escudilla Mountain, the Loco Knoll area, the Black River area, Kettle Holes, Centerfire Creek, Burro Mountain, the Greens Peak area, Mineral Creek, St. Peter’s Dome, the Mexican Hay Lake area, Milligan Valley, Juan Garcia Mountain, Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area, and the Pole Knoll area.

The early firearms bull hunt begins the day following the end of the archery hunts. Bulls are still in the rut, and the opportunity for success is good. Areas to hunt are generally the same as the areas for the archery hunts.

The Juniors-only firearms antlerless hunt follows the early firearms bull hunt. Elk are still distributed throughout the unit at this time. Local concentrations of elk can occur in certain areas. The previously mentioned areas are a good start in finding an elk for this hunt. Weather conditions during these early season hunts usually consist of warm to cool days and cool to cold nights. Rain showers may still be occurring during the early part of September. October snowstorms have occurred in the past, and freezing nighttime temperatures are not uncommon.

Middle Season Hunts: These hunts occur during late October into the middle of November. This is the time of year when elk begin their migration from summer to winter range. Snowfall is a major factor in accelerating the migration. Places to find elk include the area around the base of Escudilla Mountain (along Forest road 275), Loco Knoll, ELC Flat, Hulsey Bench, South Unit 1 along forest service Road 25, Forest Service road 409, Greens Peak, St. Peters Dome, Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area and Antelope Peak. Weather varies during this time of year, but you can expect cool to cold temperatures and the possibility of significant snowfall.

Late Season Hunts: These hunts occur from the end of November to the last hunt in December. These hunts usually include the late firearms bull hunt in Unit 1, 2B, and 2C, the Unit 1 East hunt area, the Escudilla hunt area in Unit 1, and the firearm antlerless hunt in Unit 1 and Units 2B and 2C. During this time period, elk are generally found at lower elevations on the winter range. The weather conditions are generally cold with snow. If significant snowfall has not occurred by this time, then some elk may also still be found in the higher elevation areas.

For the firearms bull hunt, places to find elk include the area north of Greens Peak to Hwy 60, the area along Forest roads (FR) 118 and 117, the Antelope Mountain area, the Loco Knoll area, Milligan Valley, the Garris Knoll area, along FR 404, the Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area. Depending on snowfall, the Big Lake area can be productive.

During the firearms antlerless hunt, the following areas would be a good bet to find elk: Milligan Valley, Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area, Loco Knoll, around the base of Escudilla Mountain, Pat Knoll, Antelope Mountain, Cerro Montoso, and Forest Service Road 409.

The late firearms antlerless hunt is generally a winter range hunt. Areas to find elk include the Antelope Mountain area, Sipe White Mountain Wildlife area, the Cerro Montoso area (both north and south of Hwy 60), along FR 117 going south from Hwy 60, the Cheney Lake area, the Mallory Springs area, the Garris Knoll area, FR 25 in the southern portion of the hunt unit, and along Carnero Creek south of Green Spot on Hwy 60.

Round Valley Hunts: These hunts are limited opportunity hunts designed to address specific issues.  The Coon Canyon and Flat Top hunt areas (described in the Hunt Regulations) have limited vehicle access. Most of the hunt areas are accessed by foot and/or horseback. Proximity to the Eagar and Springerville City limits makes knowledge of the hunt boundaries imperative. Be prepared to walk and to pack harvested animals out of the hunt area. Access for vehicular retrieval of animals may be granted in some instances depending upon where the animal is located. The Antelope Mountain hunt area is primarily made up of State Trust land and private property. Cross country travel is prohibited on State Trust land with the exception of big game retrieval. Cross Country travel on private property is permissible with permission from the property owner. Road conditions will vary depending on the weather.

• Like 1

Thanks, I have found this info already. I'm trying to get any personal info on this area and possible areas that allow for a trailer drop as most places are closed during this time.

11 minutes ago, Levisj said:

Thanks, I have found this info already. I'm trying to get any personal info on this area and possible areas that allow for a trailer drop as most places are closed during this time.

What I posted was more a reply for this: "....and where I should be looking for a cow." 

Best thing to do is drive up, get a hotel there in Eagar at the Best Western. Drive and hike the unit. If you don’t find a place to camp and don’t see Elk well your doing something wrong. Just come up with plan A B C and D. 

• Like 2

Oh ya download OnX maps to, very very helpful 

• Like 1

Go anywhere it's unit 1. There are elk everywhere. If you like pines go to the pines, if you like firs camp in the first and so on.  Literally elk and camping everywhere.  Just of of curiosity what state are you from. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Go anywhere it's unit 1. There are elk everywhere. If you like pines go to the pines, if you like firs camp in the first and so on.  Literally elk and camping everywhere.  Just of of curiosity what state are you from. 

I am from southern Arizona

32 minutes ago, Levisj said:

I am from southern Arizona

Tucson? 

Just go take the family camping, or go by yourself for a weekend. Get up on some high points and glass in the am and evening. You will see elk.  Watch out for falling trees especially if it's windy.

Are you a fairly new hunter or are you pretty seasoned?

RV Parks are really difficult to get into right now due to the windmill farm going in and LOTS of construction.  When is your hunt?

2 hours ago, trophyseeker said:

What I posted was more a reply for this: "....and where I should be looking for a cow." 

He wants an C on a map

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Tucson? 

Just go take the family camping, or go by yourself for a weekend. Get up on some high points and glass in the am and evening. You will see elk.  Watch out for falling trees especially if it's windy.

Are you a fairly new hunter or are you pretty seasoned?

Benson, I am pretty seasoned for hunting in Europe (been stationed overseas). I hunt cous down here each year with success. I have no issue with glassing, just not familiar with the area. Just wanted to see if there were any good areas to dry camp as most of the camp sites I see are closed due to the weather during that time.

21 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

He wants an C on a map

If you think I want a red dot on the map as that's where they will be your sadly mistaken. It takes the fun out of glassing and hiking the beautiful outdoors. I'm honestly asking for general information on the area and where some good places to camp at, since most campsites are closed during my dates. I'm not here to fight with any keyboard warriors or over inflated hunter ego's on this topic.  

53 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

RV Parks are really difficult to get into right now due to the windmill farm going in and LOTS of construction.  When is your hunt?

Dec 3-9