Sign in to follow this  
Levisj

Need some info help on Unit 1 in AZ

47 minutes ago, Levisj said:

Benson, I am pretty seasoned for hunting in Europe (been stationed overseas). I hunt cous down here each year with success. I have no issue with glassing, just not familiar with the area. Just wanted to see if there were any good areas to dry camp as most of the camp sites I see are closed due to the weather during that time.

If you can glass and kill coues the actual hunting part should be fairly easy. Although you might have to get a bit further from the truck and expect a workout getting the meat back.  I'm not sure what elk are doing in December as far as pressure there but glassing should get you on point.   I can tell you camping lower is better then camping higher, you don't want your entire camp snowed in.  Can't help at all as far as what should be open but like I said, try to avoid the snow.

• Like 1

Sure wish I hunted Unit 1.  I would gladly give you a solid camping spot.  Do not let a few turds on here get you down.  Someone will pm you a place to camp hopefully.    

1 hour ago, Levisj said:

If you think I want a red dot on the map as that's where they will be your sadly mistaken. It takes the fun out of glassing and hiking the beautiful outdoors. I'm honestly asking for general information on the area and where some good places to camp at, since most campsites are closed during my dates. I'm not here to fight with any keyboard warriors or over inflated hunter ego's on this topic.  

Ok then!

my wife has had the late hunts in there. If there is minimal snow the roads stay open. It snowed a little bit on the last one but not too bad, and all the roads remained open. We like to camp off of three forks(big lake) road out of Alpine on any of the roads heading north. Lots of good spots in there. 

• Like 1

Similar to other posts, you can camp just about anywhere. The post about picking what vegetation you want to hunt (pines, firs, aspen, juniper) then camping there is solid advice. Elk are everywhere up there and You can park a trailer near any place you want to hunt. Good luck! 

There's dry camping all over the unit. Like others have mentioned, it would be a good idea to come up for a weekend and explore a bit just so you are familiar with it. It's definitely a big unit, and there are elk throughout. You just have to find the type of area you want to hunt, because it varies quite a bit in terms of elevation & vegetation and do a little exploring. You'll have camping spots and elk located in no time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coach said:

There's dry camping all over the unit. Like others have mentioned, it would be a good idea to come up for a weekend and explore a bit just so you are familiar with it. It's definitely a big unit, and there are elk throughout. You just have to find the type of area you want to hunt, because it varies quite a bit in terms of elevation & vegetation and do a little exploring. You'll have camping spots and elk located in no time.

And big your fishing poles, great fishing

• Like 1

As mentioned by someone, Eagar and Springerville have RV parks and that time of year should be easy to get into. This will be a fun but cold hunt. I can give you some places to start if you PM me and answer any questions about the area. 

• Like 1