Grizzly1022

Whats the deal with unit 10?

Drew an archery unit 10 tag. Heading up this weekend to scout, but I know that the west half is that big ranch with paid access. I read it only opens a week before the hunt starts. I've never hunted this unit before, but is it worth it to buy that access without being able to really learn the area? Anyone had success doing that? Or am I better off scouting my butt off this summer on the east side? Any intel would be helpful!

Yes, yes, & yes.  Odds are you won't get another tag for 8-10 years.  Make the best of what you've got.  Congrats on the tag.

Edited by Swivelhead
content
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grizzly1022 said:

Drew an archery unit 10 tag. Heading up this weekend to scout, but I know that the west half is that big ranch with paid access. I read it only opens a week before the hunt starts. I've never hunted this unit before, but is it worth it to buy that access without being able to really learn the area? Anyone had success doing that? Or am I better off scouting my butt off this summer on the east side? Any intel would be helpful!

I wouldn’t bother. It’s just money you don’t have to spend.

Is this for elk or antelope? Thinking antelope since this is in the antelope forum. Good luck on your hunt. I know nothing about 10 but hunt across the street in 7w alot.

It's silly but yes they only allow access to the Boquillas ranch a week before the hunt. On top of the access permit charge for you, you will also have to pay for an assist permit for each person in your vehicle that does not have a tag for the same unit. You can hunt the northern and eastern part of the unit. A difficult situation since those parts of the unit have the least amount of water due to drought conditions. The Boquillas has a big pipeline system for water but they have restrictions on hunting near livestock water. Check HuntBigBo.com for more info. 

30 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

I wouldn’t bother. It’s just money you don’t have to spend.

No explanation except money?

I would 100% buy the access.  You will regret not spending the 110$ if you are having a hard time locating a good antelope outside of the Bo.  Why restrict your hunting area for such a small price?  Seems like a no brainer for me.

• Like 6

Big Bo is worth the dough ! Better water for sure.

• Like 1

Y'all make some good points about cutting off 50% of the unit. The $100 isnt the issue. My hang up is walking into Big Bo blind. Hate to head into the area without any knowledge of the land and where the animals trend or not being able to hunt water if we get a lack of monsoons like we had last year.

3 minutes ago, Grizzly1022 said:

Y'all make some good points about cutting off 50% of the unit. The $100 isnt the issue. My hang up is walking into Big Bo blind. Hate to head into the area without any knowledge of the land and where the animals trend or not being able to hunt water if we get a lack of monsoons like we had last year.

It's Antelope!  You can literally glass them up from 10 miles away pretty easy.  Plan on getting up there a week before your hunt to get the lay of the land.  Good luck on your hunt.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grizzly1022 said:

I would hate to not have that option. Maybe, a question about hunting the boquillas?

Well Grizzly1022 sounds like we need to invest in a spotter.  Not sure the 15’s will get it done.   Grizzly1022 is my son.  Thanks for the advice fellas 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, apache12 said:

Well Grizzly1022 sounds like we need to invest in a spotter.  Not sure the 15’s will get it done.   Grizzly1022 is my son.  Thanks for the advice fellas 

Well in that case... buy the permit.

16 hours ago, Grizzly1022 said:

Depends on how you will hunt.

Spot and stalk / decoy its probably worth it

If you were planning on sitting water, don't bother. You are not allowed to hunt over water on the ranch.