Sign in to follow this  
Mangum

What is your opinion on the 10mm

I am looking to buy a hand gun to carry with me on scouting and shed hunting trips.

I carried my boss's 357 ruger with a six inch weighted barrel on my last trip. After the first mile it was extremely noticeable.

So I am looking for somthing with similar power but with lighter ammo and a lighter gun.

I am leaning toward buying a Glock 10mm in the compacked or full size version.

What would be your choice?

Good carry gun. Lots of people carry them when they are out. I have a Glock 22 with an aftermarket 6" barrel which bumps the numbers up to the 10mm numbers. Ammo is cheaper for the .40 as well.

The old response that we give when asked why we carry a .45 of "Cause they don't make a .46" rings true. The 10mm is a beast of a round. Infact after shooting it out of a compact I had a pretty bad flinch. For the most part the 10mm shoots about the same grain bullet faster, but the .40 does it better. For a defensive round the 10mm scores pretty low on my personal list. The recoil is enough to slow down a second shot for me at least enough that I wouldn't trust myself. I'm sure with time and practice the recoil could be managed and overcome much like any other gun. You may want to go shoot some and see how you think you would do with one. Personally I carry .45s and .357s. That's what I'm comfortable carrying, and currently own.

I carry a 10MM and i have it set up with a recoil spring that eliminates a lot of the recoil. I can hold on a target and recover very fast. I bought the 10MM before i went to Alaska and i loaded it with 240 grain bullets and 15 round clips--never needed it and i doubt it would have dropped a grizzly but if i could feed 15 into him it would sure slow him down!

With the revolver you could get a thick wide belt and a good leather holster to help with the weight. I carry a Redhawk 7.5" all day fine.

When I'm packing a lot I carry a Glock 30 .45 ACP

Thank you for all your post and the knowledge you have shared.

I have another question.

What affect would Glocks compensated barrel have on the recoil of the 10mm?

I have a Glock 20 and the recoil is certainly no worse than a 1911 Colt in .45 auto. Mine does not have the ported barrel, but I have shot a friend's Glock in .45 Auto and the ported barrel does reduce muzzle flip noticeably. It increases muzzle blast noticeably, as well.

Hope this helps...

10mm is a great round and fun to shoot, just a 40 on crack though. in arizona it wont be a problem, heck here a 9mm really would not be a problem. Id take a 45 in most circumstances though. Do yourself a favor and look into a good 1911 in 10mm rather than a glock..... i mean quality should have some play in the decision. Honestly i feel safe anywhere i been with a ruger 22 not a whole lot to worry bout other than other folks and a 22 can make a mess.

I have to tell ya--the Glock is one of the toughest and most reliable auto's i have ever shot and i don't think many will compare when it comes to quality. I do not like their safety as there is no safety with these--the trigger is the safety.

Basically the same thing as a 41 Magnum. Alot less recoil than a 44 Mag with a whole bunch of punch.

Great idea for backcountry carry. Glocks are ugly, have no grace and beauty but they always go "bang". The recoil out of the Glock is more manageable than the 1911 variants. I had a colt that kicked so hard the safety would reset itself. That was bad. You need to make sure and ride the safety on 1911's.

Thanks everyone for all of your posts. ;)

After reading all of them aswell as many internet reviews i have decided to go with the 10mm glock 20c.

Sounds to me like it's on heck of a hand gun and round.

With a 45, ammo selection is second to non and probably cheaper. I almost bought a Glock until a a salesman at sportsmans showed me how they can fire out of battery, and how it happened to him twice. I think Glocks are over rated. Kimber makes a nice compact 1911.

The 10 mm was adopted by the FBI and promptly loaded down because they couldn't handle the recoil in a standard size service pistol. I think it makes a great hunting caliber for mid sized game but not a self defense round. It is also a high pressure round which means it will eat up your pistol quicker. So won't the 40 or 9mm. The 45 ACP operates at low pressure and is easy on the gun. It's got a reputation for stopping fights quickly too.

Mark