SpotNStalk

Looking to buy a Polaris Ranger Crew or Honda Pioneer

I love my pioneer.   They all come with pluses and minuses.   For hunting it is really hard to beat the pioneer.   Typically when I'm hunting it is 2 people in the buggy so be back seat isn't an issue.   My kids have mentioned that the back gets a bit warm.   Some heat shield cures that.   The dust is an issue with all of them if you have a windshield.   All in all I don't think you can beat the Pioneer for hunting.    The general is nice if you want to just go riding but the lack of a bed isn't a trade off that I am willing to deal with.    Plus, the general is loud.   Though the seats are super comfy.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, recurveman said:

I love my pioneer.   They all come with pluses and minuses.   For hunting it is really hard to beat the pioneer.   Typically when I'm hunting it is 2 people in the buggy so be back seat isn't an issue.   My kids have mentioned that the back gets a bit warm.   Some heat shield cures that.   The dust is an issue with all of them if you have a windshield.   All in all I don't think you can beat the Pioneer for hunting.    The general is nice if you want to just go riding but the lack of a bed isn't a trade off that I am willing to deal with.    Plus, the general is loud.   Though the seats are super comfy.  

That’s funny because one of the reasons  my friends dad got rid of his Pioneer was because he said it was too loud. He went with the general and was glad he did. 🤷‍♂️ Like you said they all have pluses and minuses. All depends on what your use mainly is. He doesn’t hunt so bed space is  not an issue. 

Love my Honda Pioneer. So versatile and it will last forever. When I was shopping for a side by side. I never seen a Honda getting repaired. Every single side by side getting worked on was a Polaris. Just saying. 

59 minutes ago, buglethemin said:

Love my Honda Pioneer. So versatile and it will last forever. When I was shopping for a side by side. I never seen a Honda getting repaired. Every single side by side getting worked on was a Polaris. Just saying. 

Agreed!!  For trail riding up mountains and switch backs while hunting, Honda Pioneer does it best. Reliable, bulletproof, transmission, and is very quiet compared to any other machine. I owned 2 Polaris Rangers before the Honda and was always working on the Rangers, ball joints, bearings, breaks, aarm bushings, electric issues, belts, sensors, etc, etc, etc...... I have been enjoying riding, hunting, all over Az and Mexico with 2-5 people in it and have had zero problems. Not 1 thing in almost 2 years. The back seating in not the best fore sure, but for the little amount of time my teenage kids ride back there it’s fine. It all depends on what you do with the machine. Me, I like to be out enjoying it, not working on it!

B5E971DD-4536-4000-8F2A-13BE8B285A1A.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buglethemin said:

My buddy thought the same thing until his tranny went out. It makes sense that more Polaris SxS’s need repair because they sell like 25:1 vs a Honda. Lol. The Honda’s are great for two people if you can get past the annoying whine and shifting jerks. The generals are great but the limited bed isn’t big enough for some. Which leaves the can am and Polaris Ranger. Either would be great options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt said:

My buddy thought the same thing until his tranny went out. It makes sense that more Polaris SxS’s need repair because they sell like 25:1 vs a Honda. Lol. The Honda’s are great for two people if you can get past the annoying whine and shifting jerks. The generals are great but the limited bed isn’t big enough for some. Which leaves the can am and Polaris Ranger. Either would be great options. 

Exactly.  Honda is real late to the game. 

And you aren't going to take a pioneer out jumping and hitting whoops.  Its made more for cruising around the woods. Polaris is going to have a little more wear and tear. 

• Like 1

Pioneer is better off road and has a better turning radius. The RZR and the general have no bed space for animals or gear.

General is in a higher class.  If your are looking at a ranger or pioneer it’s personal preference.   

general will go where a ranger or pioneer can’t.   

I have one and I’m extremely pleased with it.  My prior was a ranger which was solid but there’s no comparison on the ride and capability.  Generals have decent storage too (with dump bed etc)

• Like 1

I guess I’m not following the people saying general has no room for animals? We’ve got the 4 seater and the bed has had a complete deer,quartered up bull elk including  head/rack.  Had a rhino before but the kids got too big for the rear seat setup. General is way to go. It will go anywhere, with comfort for all.

17 minutes ago, Rhinoaz said:

I guess I’m not following the people saying general has no room for animals? We’ve got the 4 seater and the bed has had a complete deer,quartered up bull elk including  head/rack.  Had a rhino before but the kids got too big for the rear seat setup. General is way to go. It will go anywhere, with comfort for all.

The can am commander is the same. It's sporty enough to go play around on a weekend, has a dump bed, and can haul plenty when needed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, northAZarcher said:

The can am commander is the same. It's sporty enough to go play around on a weekend, has a dump bed, and can haul plenty when needed.

I’ve had elk, bear, deer, Turkey, feral hog, coyotes and everything else in mine. Not as easy to get an elk in as it would be in a Ranger but works. I’ll be the first to say that more than a few hunters and room gets tight. 

Can Am defender Max XT Hd10 6 seater 30” Wheels 3 inch lift all the way :)  Can’t wait till May 30 in Unit 1 !!!!