Non-Typical Solutions

Bumper hitch vs 5th Wheel

Goose necks aren't 5th wheel. 5th wheel is an over the road hookup, goose necks give more flexibility at the hook up. The G N gives much more stable handling and more clearance than BP.

• Like 1

Fifth wheel will give you better stability as it puts all the weight directly over the rear axel.  If you go with an Anderson hitch your wife will be able to put the hitch in and take it out and you won’t loose all your bed space.  

0BD09DAC-CCB8-4085-A9F9-34E3F7D8AF39.png

• Like 2

Same hitch I have and it is easy to install and remove.  It also tows better than the standard fifth wheel.  

I had a tongue pull and would never go back.  Less storage and it does not tow near as good.  Just my opinion.  

• Like 1

Had both for years and I will never go back to a fiver. Way too much hassle and lost bed space. JMHO

Bill

• Like 2

Bumper hitch is fine for smaller trailers. It is easy to hook up and allows use of the bed. 

If you tow alot or tow larger trailers Gooseneck or 5th wheel adapter to gooseneck is the way to go. They tow much better and maneuver better.

I have towed with GN and bumper. My toyhauler is small at about 22' so bumper is ok for that. It I was going bigger though I would be looking for a 5th wheel and use the GN tower like pictured above. 

• Like 1

I have a b&w hitch on my truck and I love it I can use the gooseneck or 5th wheel  really ease or just my bed because the ball it’s a turn over 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Big Tub said:

5th wheels way more expensive and really need a long bed to avoid breaking back window.  I prefer to keep my truck bed and shell.  

Actually a sliding hitch and and anderson are good for 5th wheel in short beds. No problems with windows and clearance. I run an anderson on my short bed. My brother has an auto slider in his short bed.

• Like 3

I've had both. used them for work and hunting/camping.  Depends on what your use is. Fifth Wheels might be better if your planning on living in it part time. The Gooseneck offest adapters help with how they hook up, but most compromise stability. I had an 9"offset gooseneck adapter for fifth wheel. 

BUT, I prefer bumper pull overall. I've got a 32' BP Toy Hauler now and its about right. Has plenty of sleeping space bedroom up front, two drop down queens, generator, fuel tank and can fit my ranger crew! no need for a monster fifth wheel. 

Fifth Wheel 

Pros: Can pull faster and more stable down interstate. Usually more room once set up. Usually some more storage. 

Cons: Loose room in bed, pain in butt to level and unhook, higher ain't always better. Taller hits trees. 

Bumper Pull

Pros: Way easier to hook up (I even have sway bars to hook up). no loss of truck space, no risk of denting bed rails, easier to maneuver at gas station. 

Cons: Can't go 80 down I-10 as easy. (Still does 70 well w/sway bars). NO Other Cons for a BP  IMHO. :)

Edited by AZ_SAWBUCK
Added content
  • Like 3

I’ve had both as well...overall towing and family use I prefer fifth wheel, but you do lose use of most of your bed. I actually think hooking up the 5th wheel is a lot easier than BP. For me at least

I also have a short bed and have no issues with hitting the cab...a slider hitch helps, but even without using a slider I’ve only ever bumped the cab once in a near Jack-knife on very uneven ground. I was dumb and forgot to engage the slider that time. 

My hitch is heavy and takes 2 people to remove from the bed. I’d give the Anderson Ultimate as pictured above a good look if you decide on a 5th wheel. I know a couple of folks with those hitches and they love them. Very easy to take in and out and tow great  

my biggest complaint with 5th wheels is the newer 4wd trucks seem to be getting higher. Even with a bit of a lift on the trailer mine doesn’t ride level on my 2011 Ram. I’ve read that the newer truck models are an inch or two higher than mine, so it would be even worse. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate you all sharing your experiences and suggestions! I currently have a great little older model bumper hitch camp trailer but am thinking about getting a toy hauler/camper to replace it! Sounds like I can still stick with my bumper hitch and be just fine!!!