Sign in to follow this  
Buckwheat893

Calling all Tikka Gurus!

I am looking to add another Tikka rifle to my collection. I have been looking at, but hesitant to buy a T3X in 300 WM as I was under the impression they were all 1:11” twist. Last night I found a T3X in 300 WM for sale, and the barrel indicates 1:10” twist. I cannot verify anywhere that there is a Tikka T3X chambered in 300 WM that comes with that twist rate. The Manufacturers part number is JRTXE331R10, which I cannot find on their website. I have reached out to the seller and to Tikka directly, but so far have not received an answer. I don’t want to buy a gun that won’t work for my intended use. Does anyone know how I else I could verify this gun is legit? Any help is appreciated.

D8426FBD-61F0-4FE8-9199-BD9CF0E20FA0.thumb.jpeg.af65eaf6f5722c188560a16087ca3a45.jpeg133F4197-BF7D-46FA-B30F-A6658330519C.thumb.jpeg.13701b072d12eada8207beef5c776f65.jpeg

Tikkas standard twist in a 300WM is 1-11. What are you looking to do that would make a difference between a 1-10 and a 1-11 inch twist?

0419210808~2.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Tikkas standard twist in a 300WM is 1-11. What are you looking to do that would make a difference between a 1-10 and a 1-11 inch twist?

0419210808~2.jpg

I would like to have the option to shoot bullets 200 grains and above, every stability calculator that I have input data for bullets those weights/lengths at 1:11” and it shows the bullet SG around 1.26-1.34 (marginally stable) at 59 degrees and sea level. As soon as I start to input temperatures below that SG drops into the unstable range, and I need at least ~5000ft elevation to get into “stable” range. I know there are a lot of good .308 bullets in the 150-195gr range, but I would still like to have the ability to shoot 200+ grain projectiles. 

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

I did see that one, but I’m still skeptical as Tikka’s website and all the other data I can find shows that they only use 1:11” twist for 300 win mag. I did see on the label pictured in my original post indicates the rifle was made in 2021, and their serial number database confirms that. Looks like I may have to call Beretta for a definitive answer 

You can also call EuroOptic and confirm the twist rate. One company had a Tikka listed on Gunbroker, it was a 6.5x55 with a 1-11 twist. It was actually a 1-8.

• Like 1

Have the potential seller run a tight patch down the bore and measure how long it takes to complete one revolution of the cleaning rod.  Easiest and best way to really confirm twist.  I have found a couple of rifles in my day that were different than what was labeled on the box from the factory.

The issue I have with Tikkas and the .300WM is the very short mag box on them.  You have to seat the heavies very deep in the case to fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

The issue I have with Tikkas and the .300WM is the very short mag box on them.  You have to seat the heavies very deep in the case to fit.

This is the very reason why I went with the 300 WSM for my current Tikka build.

• Like 1