Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Hate Me Some Thieves

ouch man, i bet everyone has some stolen cat stories. Why in the heck can these be worth anything for scrap? seems like easy fix to make them worthless to a thief? Its been going on for years.

I replaced a few over the years and welded heat treated steel bars on the back side so they would trash their sawzall blade.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Edge said:

It's liability only. They're counting the theft as vandalism. According to the insurance company's replacement estimate, the cats theft totalled the truck.

I'm running flex tube until closer to inspection time. Even the tubing is in short supply due to this crap. My local NAPAs delivery truck had the cat stolen 2 weeks ago at 2pm in front of the store. Replacement cats can take a month to get.

I started this thread to vent but if you have a truck you don't want F'd with, garage or put it in your yard.

Hybrid cats are valuable but for ease of theft, the punks are targeting Dodge and Ford trucks.

I'm still a bit confused. Vandalism comes under comprehensive coverage, not liability. So it sounds like you might have the comprehensive coverage but the insurance company will pay you only $2000 and take the 'totaled' truck if you choose that route. Or you have only liability coverage, thus vandalism isn't covered & they won't pay you a thing. Which is correct?

Just now, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

ouch man, i bet everyone has some stolen cat stories. Why in the heck can these be worth anything for scrap? seems like easy fix to make them worthless to a thief? Its been going on for years.

I replaced a few over the years and welded heat treated steel bars on the back side so they would trash their sawzall blade.

The cats have rare metals in them that can be salvaged. 

3 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

The cats have rare metals in them that can be salvaged. 

I read here is a metal in them that is in very short supply. One ofbthe only places to mine it is in africa, think it said ghana

Edge how long was she in the store?  That sucks man. I guess im kind of glad we dont have a local scrap yard anymore

16 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I read here is a metal in them that is in very short supply. One ofbthe only places to mine it is in africa, think it said ghana

Platinum, palladium and rhodium. A gram of platinum is worth about $40, BUT...a single troy ounce, which is slightly heavier than a regular ounce, of rhodium cost around $27,000 last week — more than a brand-new Toyota Prius. That’s up from $1,700 three years ago.

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, trophyseeker said:

I'm still a bit confused. Vandalism comes under comprehensive coverage, not liability. So it sounds like you might have the comprehensive coverage but the insurance company will pay you only $2000 and take the 'totaled' truck if you choose that route. Or you have only liability coverage, thus vandalism isn't covered & they won't pay you a thing. Which is correct?

Nobody more confused than me.. Turns out she changed the coverage to full for a few bucks more. It's an old Ford with 300k miles.

3 minutes ago, Edge said:

Nobody more confused than me.. Turns out she changed the coverage to full for a few bucks more. It's an old Ford with 300k miles.

Okay, makes more sense now. Sounds like they won't fix it because it costs more than the truck is worth. So instead, they will give you $2000 under the comprehensive coverage, which covers vandalism, and take the totaled truck. Or you can pay for it yourself and keep the truck. 

3 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

Okay, makes more sense now. Sounds like they won't fix it because it costs more than the truck is worth. So instead, they will give you $2000 under the comprehensive coverage, which covers vandalism, and take the totaled truck. Or you can pay for it yourself and keep the truck. 

Keeping. Almost $2k in tires alone. I'll be installing the cat too.

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Edge how long was she in the store?  That sucks man. I guess im kind of glad we dont have a local scrap yard anymore

Only a couple minutes. Surely the thieves were watching, a blonde gimping along with a cane and the store had no window's.

1 hour ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Its due to the iridium used in the newer hybred cats if I recall. I believe its iridium . the high end cars use it scrap guy comes next dorr and pays 500+ for a used worn out prius cat. neighbor was telling me that one day  last year.

I think the other cats being stolen are just because people think all cats are the same and bring in the same money.

1 hour ago, trophyseeker said:

Platinum, palladium and rhodium. A gram of platinum is worth about $40, BUT...a single troy ounce, which is slightly heavier than a regular ounce, of rhodium cost around $27,000 last week — more than a brand-new Toyota Prius. That’s up from $1,700 three years ago.

ahh it was already answered sorry

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Only a couple minutes. Surely the thieves were watching, a blonde gimping along with a cane and the store had no window's.

Phuckers. All with stolen tools no doubt. Sorry man that sucks.

Side note, i think my wifes cat is going out gonnabhave to do it myself and scrapbthe old one i guess. Which makes me wonder if there isba xore charge on the new ones. Cant imagine there wouldnt be.