Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Bullet weight VS twist

I have a question on weights VS twist for two rifles. 

First is a Christensen Arms Mesa in 7MM. it has a 1 in 9 twist with a 24 inch barrel. I don't have it yet. I'm trading a friend of mine who lives in Minnesota, so we have some logistics to figure out to keep everything legal, but I wanted to start getting projectiles. He won it in an auction, but he cant shoot right handed. He also drinks white claws..... Would a 197 grain bullet be a little too heavy for it? I'm looking at sierra match kings 175, 180, and 197. 

The other rifle is a DPMS AR in .223 with a 1 in 9 twist with a 24 inch barrel. This has been sitting in the safe for a few years so I decided I better do something with it. What bullet would you guys recommend for it? 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Every load/rifle will be a little different but you should have no problems getting the 175 and 180s to stabilize out of that gun and the 197s will be iffy but I would bet the 197s will be ok as well. The 197s are pretty heavy for the 7RM in general and the 175- 180s will probably carry energy further. I've loaded 175-180s out of 1:9.5 and 1:9.25 twist with great results. 

With the 223 my 1:9s have shot everything I've run through them but a 60+ gr bullet will be best. I like 69 gr match kings, 60gr vmax  and 75 gr ELDm. 

• Like 1

The 197 SMK is a very long, high BC bullet.  1:7.5" minimum twist requirement.  I would not consider it for a 1:9" twist, at all.  I would look at up to 175s.  Even the 183 SMK & 180 SMK states a 1:8" minimum.   Know this....when a company says "Minimum", that is not always the OPTIMAL twist rate.  If you hunt high country, that helps with the air density and bullet stability.  

I have had great results with the 175 Elite, 175 SGK, 168 VLD, 175 SMK in 1:9" twist .280AIs and 7RMs.  

For the 1:9" .223, I like the 69 SMK too.  

• Like 3

Thanks for the input. I'll shop accordingly. 

On 4/25/2021 at 1:09 PM, ctafoya said:

I have a question on weights VS twist for two rifles. 

First is a Christensen Arms Mesa in 7MM. it has a 1 in 9 twist with a 24 inch barrel. I don't have it yet. I'm trading a friend of mine who lives in Minnesota, so we have some logistics to figure out to keep everything legal, but I wanted to start getting projectiles. He won it in an auction, but he cant shoot right handed. He also drinks white claws..... Would a 197 grain bullet be a little too heavy for it? I'm looking at sierra match kings 175, 180, and 197. 

The other rifle is a DPMS AR in .223 with a 1 in 9 twist with a 24 inch barrel. This has been sitting in the safe for a few years so I decided I better do something with it. What bullet would you guys recommend for it? 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

It's length not weight that you are stabilizing. The 175-180 will be marginal. You're best off with 168's . That deer, elk, or antelope will not know the difference in those 12 grain lighter bullets. Besides accuracy trumps velocity or a weight difference of 12 grains. Touche!