huntlines

Bison reduction project

I imagine the firearm safety certification is hunters ed. The way I'm reading it, they are going to have you shoot 5 shots from some position, somewhere,  and you will have to hit 3/5 shots in a 4 inch circle at 100 yards.

Screenshot_20210427-191351~2.png

• Like 1

Its odd to me that they are gonna let only 12 animals be killed like thats gonna help the overall problem of overgrazing on the park.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Its odd to me that they are gonna let only 12 animals be killed like thats gonna help the overall problem of overgrazing on the park.

Is it only 12 animals? I know it will only be 12 shooters but I didn't see that it would only be 12 animals. 

*edit* I went back and looked and it only says that shooters will be given up to one animal in exchange for volunteering. Unless I missed it, it doesn't say how many animals will be shot. 

• Like 2

What I can't get over is that the National Park Service.. that knows ZERO about wildlife management... is the one running this deal. I picture a bunch of park rangers with smokey the bear hats, shorts and knee high green socks running around telling a bunch of hunters which animals to shoot. I bet a bunch of them cry

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

Is it only 12 animals? I know it will only be 12 shooters but I didn't see that it would only be 12 animals. 

*edit* I went back and looked and it only says that shooters will be given up to one animal in exchange for volunteering. Unless I missed it, it doesn't say how many animals will be shot. 

Good catch. Does not mention how many animals that i saw.  I assumed 12 animals meant 12 dead buffs But it does not clarify.   At the end of the day its still cheaper then hiring guys to do something we would all love to do for free.  

• Like 2

I herd quit a few will be shot. Thats why they say shooter can have up to one..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Gonna need one huge tregar grill. Taste meat right there. 

So whats the odds someone on here gets a chance..

Bout as good as drawing a sheep tag

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

People build fences to keep elephants contained. Don’t think it’d be that hard to keep a bison out. There are 10,000 wild horses wrecking habitat across the state that the feds will do nothing about but they’ll slaughter the few hundred bison (native species) inside the park? Nice move feds. What a joke. 

100%

5 minutes ago, eddielasvegas said:

I wonder why the 4" circle at 100 yards requirement?

That sure seems extra small when you consider the kill zone for a bison.

Eddie

I shi** you not, people miss Bison with a rifle at 20 yards. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

I shi** you not, people miss Bison with a rifle at 20 yards. 

That is funny and a bit sad, but I can understand excitement possibly contributing to the poor marksmanship. 

I am fairly accurate with my 45-70 out to 150 yds. shooting in a standing position, but my target is for an elk which is about 12" square so me thinks I need to practice.  😀

Eddie

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eddielasvegas said:

That is funny and a bit sad, but I can understand excitement possibly contributing to the poor marksmanship. 

I am fairly accurate with my 45-70 out to 150 yds. shooting in a standing position, but my target is for an elk which is about 12" square so me thinks I need to practice.  😀

Eddie

The one time I'm not even trying to be funny! 

Had a deal worked out with a member on cam sharing for a hunt up there.  He got there first (third day into the hunt) that apparently the guide never noticed activity, so he graciously allowed the old timer who finally showed up way late in the morning,  first shot when he didn't even have to do so. Dude missed at 20 and so he asked if it would be ok for him to give chase (also didn't have to). Got within 90 and got a nice cow. Dudes miss at 20!

I witnessed a lot of really bad shooting yo there last year. If a hunter is there for 5 days I suspect they intend to have him kill as many Buffalo as he can in 5 days.

The required supply list includes field dressing supplies. I wonder if the “volunteer lethal remover” will not only be required to shoot the Buffalo but also retrieve and process it.