Bison reduction project

I'll take the rest.

Bison shanks for Osso Bucco

Brisket for low and slow smoking and corned bison

Two HUGE hind quarters with subprimal cuts for slow braising and ground bison

Flank for marinating and grilling over pecan & oak plus short ribs for braising

I'm ready!

• Like 5

Do I get Davis Bacon Wages as it is a federal funded project?

Likely very few if any AZ residents will get a crack at it. I didnt see being a resident was a qualification.  But if they succeed and this actually happens a very hard hunt to draw will get way harder real fast.   I feel very lucky to have gotten one here because after this i doubt i ever would have the chance again.  

• Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 2:52 PM, idgaf said:

A random thought on getting the bison off of the park.  Drain all park water for may and June.  Get rid of the water and salt within 3 miles of the park fence.  They will move to find new water and salt.  Just a theory. 

I think this is the best idea of all. Force them off the park and let AZ residents have a chance. Fill off park tanks and increase tags numbers until the quota is met.   Seems like it could be done very quickly under this scenario.

I don't love this. It basically sounds like you will be selected to kill alot of bison, and then spend 5 days packing meat out. Of which you "might" receive a whole bison. 

I also think it is dumb that straight wall cartridges are not allowed. It's not like they didn't almost exterminate the millions of bison from north America with them in the not so distant past. 

I will not be volunteering to be an unpaid exterminator of bison and then spend 5 days packing them out of who knows where. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Explorer said:

Do I get Davis Bacon Wages as it is a federal funded project?

No. Because it's a "Management" hunt.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I don't love this. It basically sounds like you will be selected to kill alot of bison, and then spend 5 days packing meat out. Of which you "might" receive a whole bison. 

I also think it is dumb that straight wall cartridges are not allowed. It's not like they didn't almost exterminate the millions of bison from north America with them in the not so distant past. 

I will not be volunteering to be an unpaid exterminator of bison and then spend 5 days packing them out of who knows where. 

Ya, it's interesting .  Given the target reduction numbers, I also assumed that the shooters would kill multiple bison each.  I have now heard (not through an 'official', but through someone who knows an official very well) that each shooter will only kill a single bison.  Of course then my mind immediately goes to the thought of 'How in the heck are they going to make a dent in the population by shooting only 12 bison???'....   I was told that this is sort of an initial pilot-run to see how it works.

For me, I'm still interested.  If nothing else, it would be an experience. ;)   Of course, the odds are going to be VERY long regarding getting selected, so I imagine I'll be sitting here reading the results/news about it on the internet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stanley said:

Ya, it's interesting .  Given the target reduction numbers, I also assumed that the shooters would kill multiple bison each.  I have now heard (not through an 'official', but through someone who knows an official very well) that each shooter will only kill a single bison.  Of course then my mind immediately goes to the thought of 'How in the heck are they going to make a dent in the population by shooting only 12 bison???'....   I was told that this is sort of an initial pilot-run to see how it works.

For me, I'm still interested.  If nothing else, it would be an experience. ;)   Of course, the odds are going to be VERY long regarding getting selected, so I imagine I'll be sitting here reading the results/news about it on the internet.

Yeah that makes no sense. To reduce rhe herd by 200 each guy would have to kill 16 or 17.  Maybe thwy are gonna have paid guys too?

23 hours ago, PRDATR said:

No. Because it's a "Management" hunt.

But it's more than 200 miles from the capital. They will pay a per Diem 

FYI. deadline to apply for this is TOMORROW, May 4.

For more info, give a listen to Huntin' Fool's "Built to Hunt" podcast, Episode 112, Grand Canyon National Park Bison Removal ...

• Like 1