huntlines

Bison reduction project

Here is my question. G&F manages wildlife population. Why didn't they double down on tags leading up to this point. Plenty of bison applicants out there. And the numbers didn't increase overnight This thing is a bit fishy.

5 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

Here is my question. G&F manages wildlife population. Why didn't they double down on tags leading up to this point. Plenty of bison applicants out there. And the numbers didn't increase overnight This thing is a bit fishy.

Fairly complex situation down there from my understanding. If there's too much pressure during the hunts outside of the park,  the buffalo just stay in the park.  Doubt there is any conspiracies going on here.  I mean, most people claim Agfd is all about $$$$.  They sell more buffalo tags, they get more money.  Don't overthink it.  

• Like 3

I'm glad NPS and AZGFD are doing this.  I'm not sure of the timing but if these "management actions" but if they precede the State House Rock hunts they'll leverage their efforts because the herd will get pushed out of the NP into AZGFD's jurisdiction where State tag holders can go to work.

I'm impressed the NPS and AZGFD are getting creative in solving this problem.  They are even getting around some of the bureaucratic hurdles (which, of course, are of their making).  Remember, this is not a hunt.  Hunts are illegal on NPS land.  [This is from the website:  "This management action is not a hunt but a lethal removal of an overpopulated bison herd to protect park resources at the guidance of the NPS. Hunting is illegal in Grand Canyon National Park."]

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

You used to could get a companion tag with your Kaibab tag and those tags didn't harvest anymore buffalo than the way they do it now in fact less were harvested.

I'll just sit back and collect my profits off my Doge coin..

On 4/27/2021 at 3:39 PM, stanley said:

They are planning on letting each shooter keep one bison.   The verbiage in the FAQs looks more like legalese to me.....

Do you know if the shooter gets to keep the hide as well?

9 minutes ago, meatviabow said:

Do you know if the shooter gets to keep the hide as well?

No idea. 

From a 'practical' perspective, I would say; Why not?   But from a technical perspective, since they are trying hard to NOT classify this as a 'hunt', I'm thinking they may not want to distribute anything that could be seen as a trophy, so I wouldn't be surprise if they are not going to let folks keep the hides/heads.

• Like 1