Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

Silent success

Just wanted to share my recent turkey success. After striking out earlier in the morning with a couple of uncooperative gobblers, I decided to try a different spot in the afternoon. I made a big loop in some country I had hunted several years ago, stopping to call every so often. After no responses and not seeing any sign I decided to make my way back to the truck. I stopped to take a break and sat down on a log when this Tom came in silently on the same path I had just been walking, almost like he had been following me. A couple of really soft yelps got him to stop and investigate. He jumped up on a downed log 20 yards in front of me and it was a done deal. 

Earlier this year I was able to pick up a box call that was made by the late Marvin Robbins. I figured it would be a cool piece of Arizona hunting nostalgia, and was excited to try it out on this hunt... guess it did the trick. 😉    Good luck to all those still out hunting and those with upcoming tags.

IMG_2928.thumb.JPG.6a8406f67f612fc65fa008bcf5d70b46.JPGIMG_2936.thumb.JPG.99b1122003a3a3a3fd1b15cc97ff8f8c.JPG

• Like 19

That’s cool how that worked out and really cool on the call!

Had you called earlier from that same spot? Listening to a turkey expert on a podcast recently...he’d done a lot of research tracking turkeys and their daily activities. He described them as having an amazing internal awareness of location almost like a GPS and would go directly to exact locations of hunter’s calls sometimes hours later after apparent wandering. 

• Like 2

Nice Story and Tribute to Marvin . My Osceolla this year came in silent as well. Fun to see em Gobble and Strut but I'll take a silent one anyday. Congrats................BOB!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bigorange said:

Had you called earlier from that same spot?

Not from the spot that I was sitting, but about 400 yards back. That's a very interesting concept about their sense of location. Makes me wonder how many turkeys I've missed out on in times past.

• Like 2

Nice box call, i have a pushpin from Marvin, that guy is a legend in Az.