Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

Lightweight (ultra light) Rifle Suggestions

3 hours ago, Ernesto C said:

Check the Savage 110 Ultralite with carbon barrel, I believe is just under or around 6lbs. ..or these?

Looking at the Savage. Looks solid thanks

• Like 1

If I was sitting on a pile of cash, I would look into a NULA or a Borden, but since I'm not, one of the lightest ones that I've owned was a Browning A bolt.

TIKKA T3 LITE in what ever caliber you are most comfortable with, best shooting rifle out of the box I have shot!

• Like 1

I have the savage UL in 2 different calibers and both shoot very well - you can't go wrong but  I also have the light weight storm and even though you are giving up a couple inches on the barrel and some diameter it shoots very well and for a packer is less bulky. 

I just had a Browning Mountain Ti (titanium action no longer manufactured) bedded on a new stock and new trigger installed by Todd at Southern Xpress.

I'm now looking at topping with a NF NXS C458 if I can find one.

I had been looking for a Ti chambered in 270WSM for quite a while.  This is a lightweight option for you; Mine weighs 6lbs & 1oz without rings and scope.

• Like 1

I back pack hunted for a number of years. First time with a full sized MOD 70 30-06. Then with a BP muzzle loader with a 32" inch 1' octagon barrel. The 7lb 11oz muzzle loader was much nicer to carry than he 30-06 at almost 9lbs. I had a R700 custom built in 270 with a skinny barrel and carbon fiber stock mounted with the smaller of the Swaro Z3 scopes. Shooting the lite 270 can be tricky as it can get out of hand so to speak and result in misses. My experience is rifle and scope less than 8lbs and more than 7lbs 4oz is a nice balance for me when it comes to easy carry and steady shooters. A Tikka T3x Lite with a scope around 12oz and talley lightweight rings will get you in that zone. I vote for the Swaro Z3 scopes for quality lightweight glass.

• Like 2

To fit your budget I would look at the kimber hunter line of rifles. Not the prettiest looking thing but they are light. I have one in 280AI with a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with talley one piece rings. Rifle weighs 6 lbs 3 oz unloaded. If you went with a short action you could save some more weight. That rifles shoots 143 hammer bullets in a 3/4" group at 100. Rifle might shoot better but I am not the best at shooting a lightweight rifle.  I am into that setup for just over 1200 bucks.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, northAZarcher said:

Tikka in your choice of caliber.  Great shooting rifle, light weight, and smooth as butter action! Hard to beat!

On 5/10/2021 at 8:20 AM, AZAV8ER said:

I back pack hunted for a number of years. First time with a full sized MOD 70 30-06. Then with a BP muzzle loader with a 32" inch 1' octagon barrel. The 7lb 11oz muzzle loader was much nicer to carry than he 30-06 at almost 9lbs. I had a R700 custom built in 270 with a skinny barrel and carbon fiber stock mounted with the smaller of the Swaro Z3 scopes. Shooting the lite 270 can be tricky as it can get out of hand so to speak and result in misses. My experience is rifle and scope less than 8lbs and more than 7lbs 4oz is a nice balance for me when it comes to easy carry and steady shooters. A Tikka T3x Lite with a scope around 12oz and talley lightweight rings will get you in that zone. I vote for the Swaro Z3 scopes for quality lightweight glass.

On 5/10/2021 at 5:31 AM, W250 said:

TIKKA T3 LITE in what ever caliber you are most comfortable with, best shooting rifle out of the box I have shot!

Thanks for the suggestions, I just ordered a Tikka T3x Superlite. Going to top it off with a VX-5 HD and Talley Rings. 👍

• Like 4

I have the tikka in a 25. You won't be disappointed(other than the hollow plastic stock which is easily solvable). Love my tikka

Did you ever mention what caliber?

We now have to assume it is a creedmore because you never said it out loud...

3 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

I have the tikka in a 25. You won't be disappointed(other than the hollow plastic stock which is easily solvable). Love my tikka

Did you ever mention what caliber?

We now have to assume it is a creedmore because you never said it out loud...

308. have lots of it piled up

48 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

308. have lots of it piled up

Replace the stock trigger spring with a yodave replacement. Well worth the 15-20 bucks.  Basically eliminated trigger creep in my tikka build. Couldn't get any better without spending 2-300 bucks on a trigger.

• Like 1

For a factory backpacking rifle, it is tough to beat the Barett Fieldcraft.  The little 6.5 creedmoor I have is just over 6 lbs with the Leupold VX3HD scope. Shot it out to 500 with factory loads and was very pleased. Got pretty good groups with a few different factory loadings.

That Howa is cooler looking though. 

Has any one mentioned Christiansen arms ? They’ve got a some pretty light ones. 

I have. 300wm that was around 6.5lbs before I anchored it with a NF. 

I know there short actions are lighter