varnco

Sept Archery: 1st half or 2nd half?

49 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Don’t over think it just worry about how you can have the most fun 

👍, But want some elk in my freezer! Planning for success

I hunted 3 early archery bull tags in a row, and 2 before that helping a friend out. so 5 years in a row for the full seasons except the 4th time it was just 3 4day trips. we called in bulls everyday from early to late.

the only difference was they get more vocal the last part of the season, so if your just listening for sound then yeah the last season might be best for you, but if you want to hunt and call bulls then the early season is just as good as later.

Just remember one thing if you can hear them so can the rest of the hunters.

• Like 1

1st week will be great. Dark moon and the bigger bulls will be easier to kill before they gather cows. They may be more vocal the 2nd week but they are harder to call in and kill.

1st week is for killing a monster, second week is for killing a bull.

I would hands down hunt the second week. The rut in 7e seems to always be slow and weak. Last year on my father in laws hunt we spent the first 6 days without one bugle or seeing any branch antlered bulls and in years I've had the tag, I've had similar experiences. 

13 hours ago, Southernhive said:

This will be my first elk hunt. I drew a Cow tag in unit 11m and I have to choose 1st or 2nd week since I live in Georgia.  Which week would be better for Cow or is it the same as for Bulls? 

For 11m cow I would prefer the first week. The cows get sharper as the rut progresses. The bulls get dumber. 11m will be better as the elk will be more vocal and easier to locate. PM me and I would be happy to share some spots. I will be out there helping a co-worker on the same hunt.